Question help - urgent please! Watch

Drizz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How would I answer this question? Also, if you could please list down a few points, it'd be much appreciated.

"Choose one of the following research methods and discuss how this method has been used to study mental health issues:

- Experiments
- Case studies
- Questionnaires"

How would I link it in with mental health issues?
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
R
(Original post by Drizz)
How would I answer this question? Also, if you could please list down a few points, it'd be much appreciated.

"Choose one of the following research methods and discuss how this method has been used to study mental health issues:

- Experiments
- Case studies
- Questionnaires"

How would I link it in with mental health issues?
Think about how these have been used in mental health research.
For example:
Questionnaires are commonly used to diagnose mental illnesses such as depression, in which boxes would be ticked to list the relative symptoms.
While case studies have been used to research a particular topic in depth, and have led to developments in research of areas such as the effects of privation on mental health and relationships.
Etc.

I'd say questionnaires wold be the easiest to talk about. You could say that they have been used in research of stress and life changes, and as mentioned above; questionnaires allow GPs to diagnose patients relatively easily. There is a lot of work you could also refer to, such as Kanner et al, 1981,who used monthly questionnaires to find a relationship between daily hassles and psychological/physical health, for example.
Drizz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
R

Think about how these have been used in mental health research.
For example:
Questionnaires are commonly used to diagnose mental illnesses such as depression, in which boxes would be ticked to list the relative symptoms.
While case studies have been used to research a particular topic in depth, and have led to developments in research of areas such as the effects of privation on mental health and relationships.
Etc.

I'd say questionnaires wold be the easiest to talk about. You could say that they have been used in research of stress and life changes, and as mentioned above; questionnaires allow GPs to diagnose patients relatively easily. There is a lot of work you could also refer to, such as Kanner et al, 1981,who used monthly questionnaires to find a relationship between daily hassles and psychological/physical health, for example.
Thank you for your much appreciated help. I have actually chosen the questionnaire method due to your recommendation. I'm doing the BDI; Beck, et al, 1961), however I'm struggling to find strengths and weaknesses that link into mental health.

Also, which study has used the BDI method? I can't seem to find any. I don't understand why I'm not able to find any either.

Quite clearly, Psychology isn't my strongest subject.
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drizz)
Thank you for your much appreciated help. I have actually chosen the questionnaire method due to your recommendation. I'm doing the BDI; Beck, et al, 1961), however I'm struggling to find strengths and weaknesses that link into mental health.

Also, which study has used the BDI method? I can't seem to find any. I don't understand why I'm not able to find any either.

Quite clearly, Psychology isn't my strongest subject.
Have you been told to focus on certain questionnaires/experiment/case studies in particular? I'm guessing the reason that you are having difficulty finding BDI examples is due to there being so many alternate versions of a questionnaires & scales, and not all studies explain which they use- so focusing on just one version would be making things fairly difficult!
Drizz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
Have you been told to focus on certain questionnaires/experiment/case studies in particular? I'm guessing the reason that you are having difficulty finding BDI examples is due to there being so many alternate versions of a questionnaires & scales, and not all studies explain which they use- so focusing on just one version would be making things fairly difficult!
Yes, I have been told to focus on BDI.

I need to hand this work in tomorrow and I'm stressing. I need to find a strength of BDI, do you know any? If you do, it'd be much appreciated. A strength that would link into mental health illness, that is.

Also, are you aware of a study that has used BDI? If so, much appreciated.
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drizz)
Yes, I have been told to focus on BDI.

I need to hand this work in tomorrow and I'm stressing. I need to find a strength of BDI, do you know any? If you do, it'd be much appreciated. A strength that would link into mental health illness, that is.

Also, are you aware of a study that has used BDI? If so, much appreciated.
I'm sorry to say that I don't know any BDI specific research.

The best thing I can do is refer to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_Depression_Inventory
This contains the strength of how the BDI has allowed mental health research to progress from theoretical interpretations to something that can actually be measured more reliably, along with a few limitations.

Perhaps I shouldn't have led you to talk about questionnaires; I didn't know you needed specific stuff! Soz.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (82)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (141)
16.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (119)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.48%
How can I be the best version of myself? (257)
30.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed