Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/casualsex.htm

Lol. Knew I was right :top:
Morrisseya
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sad to hear. Shame those of us who don't do it often get labelled "old-fashioned" nowadays. :rolleyes:
miscounted_time
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't hook up with anybody then.

On a serious note though, this isn't news, it's a known fact that individuals suffering from depression and low self worth will often indulge in casual sex as a means of seeking validation. Unfortunately, they are often used to the further detriment of their self worth and emotional health and so the cycle continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And then...
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
#ladsladslads
geoking
Rep:
?
(Original post by miscounted_time)
Don't hook up with anybody then.

On a serious note though, this isn't news, it's a known fact that individuals suffering from depression and low self worth will often indulge in casual sex as a means of seeking validation. Unfortunately, they are often used to the further detriment of their self worth and emotional health and so the cycle continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually you'd be amazed the amount of people who still think hookups are healthy - plenty of them on TSR. With the prevalence of the hookup culture, the facts need to be far better advertised.
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The article says teens with depressive symptoms were more likely to engage in casual sex, that's not really the same as saying it's bad for your mental health.

Whilst it does hypothesise later in about the affect casual sex then has, it seems to have done very little to rule out other factors that may have an influence on the results - indeed, it even states "It may be that depressive symptoms fluctuate during adolescence and it is hard to capture an accurate reading when measured just twice, as in this study". Not exactly a resounding outcome to support your theory, frankly.
geoking
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
The article says teens with depressive symptoms were more likely to engage in casual sex, that's not really the same as saying it's bad for your mental health.

Whilst it does hypothesise later in about the affect casual sex then has, it seems to have done very little to rule out other factors that may have an influence on the results - indeed, it even states "It may be that depressive symptoms fluctuate during adolescence and it is hard to capture an accurate reading when measured just twice, as in this study". Not exactly a resounding outcome to support your theory, frankly.
:curious: Guessing you skim read it:

“There’s always been a question about which one is the cause and which is the effect. This study provides evidence that poor mental health can lead to casual sex, but also that casual sex leads to additional declines in mental health.”

It quite clearly states it's bad for your mental health. That part you mentioned has been taken wholly out of contex. Here's the part that goes before it:

"
The researchers are not sure why casual sex was linked to later serious consideration of suicide, but not depressive symptoms, in these participants."

I know this is chat, but skim reading an article and taking parts out of context is hardly appropriate anywhere on TSR...
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geoking)
:curious: Guessing you skim read it:

“There’s always been a question about which one is the cause and which is the effect. This study provides evidence that poor mental health can lead to casual sex, but also that casual sex leads to additional declines in mental health.”

It quite clearly states it's bad for your mental health. That part you mentioned has been taken wholly out of contex. Here's the part that goes before it:

"
The researchers are not sure why casual sex was linked to later serious consideration of suicide, but not depressive symptoms, in these participants."

I know this is chat, but skim reading an article and taking parts out of context is hardly appropriate anywhere on TSR...
I didn't skim read, I just don't agree that it conclusively proves anything.

They seem to have found a correlation between the two, but that doesn't make casual sex the causation. At best it suggests that further research needs to be done into the matter. But as I said previously, very little seems to have been done to exclude other causes or factors, so I don't see why this actually proves anything.

It's not really taken entirely out of context - the context doesn't change the fact that the article itself says other factors may be involved, and that the readings might not be accurate.

But fair enough, if you think that post was unfair because it was out of context, then there was also this "The results do point to a possible “cyclical pattern” in which poor mental health leads to casual sex, which leads to further declines in mental health".
geoking
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I didn't skim read, I just don't agree that it conclusively proves anything.

They seem to have found a correlation between the two, but that doesn't make casual sex the causation. At best it suggests that further research needs to be done into the matter. But as I said previously, very little seems to have been done to exclude other causes or factors, so I don't see why this actually proves anything.

It's not really taken entirely out of context - the context doesn't change the fact that the article itself says other factors may be involved, and that the readings might not be accurate.

But fair enough, if you think that post was unfair because it was out of context, then there was also this "The results do point to a possible “cyclical pattern” in which poor mental health leads to casual sex, which leads to further declines in mental health".
I've got to say that it's more than questionable that you are saying "it" doesn't prove anything yet you haven't read the paper the study is from.

Actually it's been known for a long time that casual sex and depression where linked, but it was a chicken/egg problem. This research quite specifically states that they both increase one another. If you sleep around, your mental health will be at risk. Separately though if you are depressed, you are more likely to sleep around. Considering the huge amount of people they surveyed for the length of time they did, they probably have enough different scenarios to be able to arrive at this conclusion.

What I think this shows is that the hookup culture has been denying something that society is fully aware of - it's not normal, it's not natural and above all else, it's not healthy. Unless we want a depression epidemic, people need to deal with their problems and stop thinking that gash/**** is the answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%