Can panic attacks cause short-term memory loss?

Watch
farrahjane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hello

ok this might sound completely nuts but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Is there any evidence that panic attacks can cause memory loss? Or, is there anyone who suffers from panic attacks and experiences the same thing?

I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and I have for a while. Its something I've grown very used to and found ways of coping, but I do still have occasional panic attacks. After a panic attack I know many people (including myself) can feel a bit dazed, very fatigued, like a zombie sloth to put it simply! But I've noticed recently(ish) that 1-2 days after a panic attack when Im well over it and feeling myself again, I hit something I cannot remember. Like I'll have a panic attack after college on a Monday, and on Tuesday Morning I feel fine and dandy, but the teacher might say "ok continue the work we did Monday morning" and I barely remember being in college on Monday, let alone what we learnt!?

Im mostly just curious to how normal this is, and if anyone has any tips for not forgetting everything that'd be really helpful!
ironandbeer2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. But don't discount other things either - consult with your doctor or a few if possible. Best wishes.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could it be dissociation?
SatanicGecko
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it's because during the panic attack you might find it very hard to concentrate on what is happening around you. Most of the time during an attack, you focus on what the little voice in your head is worrying about.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
I will have memory loss before and shortly after a panic attack, but never not remembering days ago.

In general with my anxiety it takes me a little longer to recall information from a few days back but this is different from forgetting altogether-

Maybe chat to your doctor?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (5)
31.25%
No (11)
68.75%

Watched Threads