Applying for Psychology BSc in the Netherlands for 2015 (UK Citizen)

Watch
Freebody86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I posted the following on the Welcome Forum but thought I'd paste it here too so you know my back story.

I'm a BA Journalism & Creative Writing graduate (2009) at DMU.

Early this year I applied for a Psychology MSc (Conversion) at the University of East London and was accepted. Unfortunately, I failed a credit check with Barclays Bank for my PCDL (Professional Career Development Loan) which was my only option to fund my Masters.

I am now looking into the possibility of studying abroad in The Netherlands.

I have signed up for Studielink - but need more information before I apply and choose the 4 University options granted per year.

If you have any information relevant I would love to hear from you.
I am aged 28 and do not speak a word of Dutch. I am not sure if I will be accepted to any of the Universities in Holland, but the fact I was accepted earlier this year to the University of East London gives me hope.

I e-mailed 8 Universities in Holland but only 1 of them replied which was Groningen and the correspondent was very polite and helpful, so Groningen will be one of my choices. I need help in choosing the other 3 options.

I need to consider location because I will most definitely need to work during my studies, for living costs. I am prepared to try and learn Dutch within the next year which might help.

Do job opportunities for students depend on the areas of The Netherlands?

I've learned that there's a Grant available if you work over 32 hours a week - but I find this conflicting with being a full-time student. How many hours per week do you usually attend University in Holland?

Also, will my age be a problem in my application?

Further questions:

On the Studielink application it only gives an option to apply for one Uni - is there options to apply for more after?

Also on Studielink, there's only one Psychology option. In the UK this is separated by BA Psychology or BSc Psychology. Is there just one variant in the Netherlands?

Going by Studielink, these are the following Universities I can choose from to study Psychology:
Groningen, Utrecht, Tilburg, Twente, VU University, Radboud University, Leiden and Erasmus Rotterdam

I'm not blessed with outstanding grades. I did an access course instead of a-levels to get into University in the past. Will this effect my application?

I would love to hear from anyone who is in the same position as me, or has been in the same position as me. Any information is very much welcome as I want to apply via Studielink sooner rather than later.
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.
Suzanne93
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Freebody86,

I think I could help you a bit with all your worries and questions.

Firstly, not being able to speak Dutch is no problem. There are many international students in Groningen and almost all Dutch students are able to speak English as well. You'll learn it once you're there: it's a difficult language. And I'm native, just saying haha.

Trying to find a job in Groningen is absolutely possible, you might have a little trouble with not speaking the language but there should be jobs out there for you!

About the grant thing: finance is always the worst part of all. I'll leave you a link to the national student financing department, which is called DUO. They're in charge of all this. : https://duo.nl/particulieren/interna...es-it-work.asp

The hours of lectures/seminars depends heavily on your course. I do know that for Psychology 1st year it is around 15 hours per week if I'm correct.

You're age shouldn't be a problem at all. There are many older students out there!

I'm not able to logon to Studielink anymore, but you should definitely be able to apply for more unis.

The Netherlands doesn't have a BA and a BSc for a similar course. Here they obviously see psychology as an Art rather than a Science. It's mostly medicine and natural sciences that are awarded a BSc.

Psychology has a decentralised selection, all info can be found here: http://www.rug.nl/gmw/psychology/edu...achelor/ds-eng

Hope this helped
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

We're excited you're considering the University of Groningen for your Psychology degree and that we've been helpful over email so far.

In addition to the great reply from Suzanne93, I just wanted to let you know that this programme is a 'numerous fixus' programme which means it has a limited amount of places. It also means you can only apply for one 'numerous fixus' programme in the whole of the Netherlands. I'm not entirely sure if all the other universities you mentioned also fall under the 'numerous fixus' listings but that might make sense if you're having trouble with Studielink.

Regarding the language barrier, as mentioned previously it's not a problem. If you are keen to learn Dutch we do offer our international students 50 hours of free Dutch lessons in their first year. This will provide you with the basics and if you wish you can study Dutch to a higher level - this may help with getting a customer facing job.

We will keep an eye on this thread for future questions but in the meantime good luck with your application - the deadline is the 1st May 2015 with the testing day on the 30th May 2015.
Freebody86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello, thank you for your replies and apologies for the late response.

I am going to work on my applications in the next 7 days as I have time off work. The last month has been very hectic, so I have not found the time needed.

The information you have all provided is invaluable, thank you so much, I am going to try my best and hopefully can be studying in Holland later this year.

As for the Numerous Fixus programme, that is the first I have seen. I hope I am able to apply for more than one Psychology course in Holland, just in case I do not get accepted - however I can understand why this is because of the popularity in the subject.

Wish me luck!
University of Groningen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (55)
37.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (15)
10.34%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (6)
4.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (32)
22.07%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
16.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (13)
8.97%

Watched Threads