~| Climate Change Is A Scam |~ Watch

Abbot2015
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Quote: "Over the last few decades, the two polar regions of our planet have exhibited strikingly different behaviours, as is evident in observed decadal trends in surface air temperature shown in figure 1. The Arctic has warmed, much more than in the global average, primarily in winter, while Arctic sea-ice extent has decreased dramatically. By contrast, the eastern Antarctic and Antarctic plateau have cooled, primarily in summer, with warming over the Antarctic Peninsula and Patagonia . Moreover, sea-ice extent around Antarctica has modestly increased."

Source: http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.o.../20130040.full

Quote: "Researchers find major West Antarctic glacier melting from geothermal sources"

Source: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-major-w...eothermal.html
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think that it can be said that climate change is a scam. Most scientists agree that climate change is happening. It's just that there are arguments about the causes and the effects are difficult to predict with great accuracy. There's a lot we don't know yet, so it's hard to say that "this falls in with the pattern, but that doesn't, so everything we know is wrong".

The way I see it is that we have to take better care of the environment anyway. It doesn't make sense to keep on polluting the oceans (and therefore affect our food supply), to keep on chopping up rainforests that are a major source of our oxygen supply, to keep on polluting the soil and even the air that we breathe. Climate change or not, it makes sense to change our habits if we want to maintain a sustainable lifestyle.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Global warming concerns an increase in average global temperatures. Merely because a couple of regions are cooling slightly does not debunk the notion that global averages are rising (which they are). The matter of sea ice is also quite complex -- increasing temperatures can sometimes lead to an increase in sea ice, as we're seeing in the Antarctic, due to changes in ocean currents, wind patterns, ocean salinity, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed