The Student Room Group

Completing the Square (Cant get correct answer)

x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

Solve this equation by completing the square:

I cant write the answer I have as the settings on this site aren't giving me the tools to do so.
Reply 1
Original post by ero
x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

I cant write the answer I have as the settings on this site aren't giving me the tools to do so.

Sure. Whatever you say.
Reply 2
Original post by ero
x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

post the workings as a picture
Reply 3
ero
OP
Really messy workings but at least it feels good to shut alow up.
Reply 4
Original post by ero

When you worked out the square of the bracket (x + 3/2), you should have had a term 9/4 which you would need to subtract. What has happened to this?
Reply 5
Original post by ero

from line 3 to line 4 I think it is totally incorrect.

What are you doing between these 2 lines?
Original post by ero

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex
Reply 7
ero
OP
So what I have worked out that it is meant (as was mentioned) to include 9/4 as I forgot to square the b coefficient as it is meant to be (b/2)^2 so therefore 3x as by would equal (3/2)^2. I understand this and just forgot it but now I am left with the following: (Considering on the right hand side the real answer is all over 2, how does 5/4 and 3/2 all randomly turn to 2?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ero
So what I have worked out that it is meant (as was mentioned) to include 9/4 as I forgot to square the b coefficient as it is meant to be (b/2)^2 so therefore 3x as by would equal (3/2)^2. I understand this and just forgot it but now I am left with the following: (Considering on the right hand side the real answer is all over 2, how does 5/4 and 3/2 all randomly turn to 2?

gosh I am too old to do a hand stance ...
Original post by ero

You have (54)=54=52\sqrt(\frac{5}{4}) = \dfrac{\sqrt5}{\sqrt4} = \dfrac{\sqrt5}{2}
Original post by ero
x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

I know you've already had the answer, but regarding "tools".

First, if you're going to post here a lot, it's really worth learning to use LaTeX; there's a guide (which TenOfThem has already linked): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex.

Even if you can't use LaTeX, it's perfectly possible to write out your workings for something like this using plain text. E.g.

x^2 + 5x + 3 = 0, so
x^2 + 5x = -3, so
(x+ 5/2)^2 - (5/2)^2 = -3, so
(x+ 5/2)^2 = -3 + 25 / 4 = 13 / 4, so
x + 5/2 = +/- sqrt(13/4), so
x = -5/2 +/- sqrt(13/4), so
x = (-5 +/- sqrt(13)) / 2
Reply 11
ero
OP
Original post by TenOfThem
You have (54)=54=52\sqrt(\frac{5}{4}) = \dfrac{\sqrt5}{\sqrt4} = \dfrac{\sqrt5}{2}

Ahh I see, thankyou for the help
Reply 12
ero
OP
Original post by DFranklin
I know you've already had the answer, but regarding "tools".

First, if you're going to post here a lot, it's really worth learning to use LaTeX; there's a guide (which TenOfThem has already linked): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex.

Even if you can't use LaTeX, it's perfectly possible to write out your workings for something like this using plain text. E.g.

x^2 + 5x + 3 = 0, so
x^2 + 5x = -3, so
(x+ 5/2)^2 - (5/2)^2 = -3, so
(x+ 5/2)^2 = -3 + 25 / 4 = 13 / 4, so
x + 5/2 = +/- sqrt(13/4), so
x = -5/2 +/- sqrt(13/4), so
x = (-5 +/- sqrt(13)) / 2

Thankyou, it will take some time to get used to, also how come you minus the (5/2)^2 to the left hand side rather than add it to the left hand and right hand side.
Original post by ero
Thankyou, it will take some time to get used to, also how come you minus the (5/2)^2 to the left hand side rather than add it to the left hand and right hand side.
Because x^2 + 5x = (x+5/2)^2 - (5/2)^2

Quick Reply

Latest