The Student Room Group

How important are school parent evenings?

In my opinion, parent engagement evenings aren't that important because I think it depends on the student to improve, not the parents to tell them to. I mean, I already know which subjects I need to improve in and how, so I don't really need my teachers telling my parents how bad I am doing because all it will do is make me feel worse. I guess it's a different situation for every student though... but does anybody agree with me? Or disagree?
Original post by Nadine_08
In my opinion, parent engagement evenings aren't that important because I think it depends on the student to improve, not the parents to tell them to. I mean, I already know which subjects I need to improve in and how, so I don't really need my teachers telling my parents how bad I am doing because all it will do is make me feel worse. I guess it's a different situation for every student though... but does anybody agree with me? Or disagree?

Yes it depends on the student to improve but the parents evening may give them a kick up the ass.

I remember one instance of saving my RE meeting until last because I thought it would be the best one and we could finish on a high note. I was so wrong. The teacher told my parents I was getting a D/C. He never bothered to tell me (which now I'm seriously questioning) or write in my book, basically I had no feedback whatsoever up to this point. It really embarrassed me and in short, I finished with an A*.

So I think they're important.

I think the parents have a right to know how their children are doing. Of course the onus should be on the child to improve but your parents have responsibility over you and it's absolutely fair that they have an insight into your education.
I think they are useful if the teacher gives you constructive useful feedback about your performance. I think they're more useful if the parent is unaware/hasn't been informed of their child's progress but I usually keep my parents up to date so they're mainly told stuff they already know :smile:
In the school where I teach the students attend with their parents so everyone hears my advice and feedback.
There are always positives to share and I found in another school that only negative comments were conveyed back; so I much prefer the way these evenings are run at my current school.
Reply 5
Complete waste of time for kids that behave themselves, and most of the naughty kids tend to have the sort of parents that don't bother anyway. I feel it also discourages teachers from discussing the child's education with them themselves.
Reply 6
Depends what level of education you're at. If you're doing GCSEs then yes I think they are still important. However when it comes to Sixth Form it's no longer necessary as you become an independent learner responsible for your education. I cannot imagine why someone who is practically an adult would need to attend a parents evening with parents (my school is fine with older students attending on their own). Some say that they don't want their parents to come because they're hiding something but surely if you're almost an adult and hold so much responsibility over your studies and your future, you shouldn't have anything to hide? Or wouldn't bother to hide it anyway?
Reply 7
Original post by 1501
Depends what level of education you're at. If you're doing GCSEs then yes I think they are still important. However when it comes to Sixth Form it's no longer necessary as you become an independent learner responsible for your education. I cannot imagine why someone who is practically an adult would need to attend a parents evening with parents (my school is fine with older students attending on their own). Some say that they don't want their parents to come because they're hiding something but surely if you're almost an adult and hold so much responsibility over your studies and your future, you shouldn't have anything to hide? Or wouldn't bother to hide it anyway?

ehh if you've not started doing that by GCSEs you're very unlikely to ever. But I do think parents should know if they want to.

I disagree. If a child is doing badly in school then it helps for the parents to know as well. If their child is doing badly, the parents might, for example, restrict things like video games and be even stricter about making sure they do homework when they're supposed to. etc. If the parents don't know, they won't know anything's wrong (if the child says nothing), and said child may be unlikely to improve.

It's probably not as important for A levels as it is for GCSEs and before.
(edited 9 years ago)
My mum only ever went to one parents evening of the years I was in high school, though to be fair she is disabled so getting into school was more trouble and hassle than it was worth. It was pretty pointless, my form tutor didn't tell her anything we didn't already know.
I don't think they are that important, but it depends on the child and the family. With some families it is just a waste of time.
Reply 11
Original post by TVIO
ehh if you've not started doing that by GCSEs you're very unlikely to ever. But I do think parents should know if they want to.

Yes but during GCSEs you don't have full control - your parents still have to make sure your attendance and effort input are adequate at least. Whilst in sixth form I find that it's entirely your responsibility to do that, partially in preparation for university and even work. However this may be due to me being in the last year ever that didn't/doesn't have to stay in education until they are 18 and therefore there isn't as much strict supervision on us since it's was our choice to carry on with education and therefore our responsibility to see it through if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest