The Student Room Group

Online tutoring - tax advice needed!

I've been an online tutor for a tutoring website since January this year, so it's nearly a year since I started doing it. However, I was unaware that I needed to be registered with HM Revenue & Customs as self-employed until recently as I did a fair bit of extra work during my undergraduate degree (which I finished in June) for which I was not charged tax due to being a full-time student and not earning at least £10,000 or so per year. That led me to believe that if I was an undergraduate student I didn't need to apply for tax.

As of September, I am a PhD student and I earn a tax-free stipend from my university of about £14,000 per year. Basically what I want to know is do I need to mention that I have been tutoring since January, but that I was a full-time student for the first half of the year, and as of September I exceeded the minimum amount for being charged tax.

Could someone please give me some advice, as I'm quite confused about what I need to do and I don't want to end up getting penalised!
Reply 1
The tax year starts in April. So you're unlikely to have earned enough to pay tax for last tax year (2013-2014) if you only started the tutoring in January. However, you need to declare any money earnt this tax year.

Being a student has no effect on your tax status. It's just that many students don't earn enough to pay tax - which leads to people thinking students don't pay tax.
Reply 2
run the money through the cayman islands
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
The tax year starts in April. So you're unlikely to have earned enough to pay tax for last tax year (2013-2014) if you only started the tutoring in January. However, you need to declare any money earnt this tax year.

Being a student has no effect on your tax status. It's just that many students don't earn enough to pay tax - which leads to people thinking students don't pay tax.

Yes, Juno is right. You will need to declare everything you have earned from this April. So basically, you will need to add up your earnings (from tutoring) between 5 April 2014 and 6 April 2015. You will then have to pay this amount by 31 January 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending