Shani148
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've just completely confused myself with the immunity topic for AS biology. The question I'm trying to answer is "Describe how antibodies are produced in the body following a viral infection."

I thought that when the body is invaded by foreign material it must be cell mediated immunity, which is T-cells, that don't produce antibodies, so I don't understand how they come into this question?

And I'm confused as to whether B-cells are solely Humoral Immunity and they only recognise self material? Does T-cell and cell mediated immunity occur first in specific responses, build up T cells, and then humoral immunity causes B-cells to divide?

Any help would be appreciated! THANK YOU!
s_________
Badges: 9
Report 6 years ago
T cells is cell mediated
They have T helper cells which bind to the antigens and activate them for response by triggering antibody production and they don't ever provide antibodies
B cells are humoral and provide the antibodies for the antigens
It's usually T cells before B cells
If you get the Steve Potter AS textbook for AQA it's much better and more helpful than using the Toole Nelson Thornes textbook
Shani148
Rep:
?
(Original post by selenerrr__x)
T cells is cell mediated
They have T helper cells which bind to the antigens and activate them for response by triggering antibody production and they don't ever provide antibodies
B cells are humoral and provide the antibodies for the antigens
It's usually T cells before B cells
If you get the Steve Potter AS textbook for AQA it's much better and more helpful than using the Toole Nelson Thornes textbook
Thank you! I will probably end up getting that one then, because I'm currently using the nelson thornes one and its so confusing! So, T-cells don't produce AB and are usually prior to B cells, so how are AB produced for viruses when viruses are foreign and cell mediated?
THANKYOU!
s_________
Report 6 years ago
The Nelson thornes is terrible and they do miss out a lot of information (definitely for unit 2 get it)
I think it's the same for both foreign and non foreign
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Shani148)
Thank you! I will probably end up getting that one then, because I'm currently using the nelson thornes one and its so confusing! So, T-cells don't produce AB and are usually prior to B cells, so how are AB produced for viruses when viruses are foreign and cell mediated?
THANKYOU!
T cells do not form antibodies, they form activated T cells. However, the helper T cells release certain chemical substances on exposure to any foreign antigen (from virus f.i.). These are called lymphokines. Lymphokines such as interleukins 4,5,6 stimulate B cells to multiply. B cells then form plasma cells, which start forming related antibodies.

B cells can also be directly stimulated to produce antibodies by exposure to foreign antigen. However, this is relatively weak.
s_________
Report 6 years ago
This animation helped me a bit about T and T helper cells
http://highered.mheducation.com/olc/...10/micro33.swf
Shani148
Rep:
?
(Original post by selenerrr__x)
This animation helped me a bit about T and T helper cells
http://highered.mheducation.com/olc/...10/micro33.swf
THANKYOU! Much appreciated!!:cool:
s_________
Report 6 years ago
I should've linked this as well, generally
All my old schs have used these resources in class
http://highered.mheducation.com/olc/...animation.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads