Would you want to visit Bangladesh for tourism?

Watch
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Look at this video, and I find it quite exciting.

But it's not a true tourist destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCazmVBUMg
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I would go just for the traffic.

That's my country. :ahee: It's not a tourist destination at all unless you're Bengali or you wanna do charity work there. I went there for the first time a few years ago and I looooooved it! I had some of the best Chinese I've ever had in my life there! Wherever you go, the fries are amaaazing. They have the best sweets and the best crisps. Omg their mangos! :gah: :love: :sexface: Whenever we could we'd pick them off trees and have them while we could. Omg it was AMAZING.

For charity work it's really, really cool. One of my granddads built a school there about 30 years ago and when we went to visit it my sister bought ice cream for about 100 kids. In my entire life I've never seen so many kids look so happy to get like a 10p ice lolly.

If you're from London they love you immediately. I had little cousins (I call them cousins but they were my aunts and uncles who were 5-10 years old ) run up to me and my siblings and ask us to go through the English alphabet, the numbers, and foods and animals with them. Their knowledge of it was almost as good as the kids in this country, and even better than some of the kids in this country! They got so excited when we would speak to them in simple English and teach them how to say things. It was so hilarious, but it was one of my favourite things about being there.

If I can ever go to a country to do charity work I'd run straight there. :love: It's always been a dream of mine to go there and teach English. :love:

Also, I forget to mention the traffic. It's ****ing crazy. Well, when you're going into Dhaka it's ****ing crazy. It must have taken us about 10 hours to get from Sylhet to Dhaka for our cousin's wedding. When we were on our way back to Sylhet my dad was talking to our driver and he asked "do you have insurance?" The man just laughed. It was the middle of the night and we were driving on a highway kind of thing and some truck hit the side of our car pretty badly. My sister was asleep and she had her head leaning against the window. She jumped up and almost freaked out when it got hit. Although we didn't get hurt, the shock really screwed with our minds mostly because that's normal driving to them. "This stuff happens all the time" is what the man said. :eek:

It's not a touristy place for non-Bengalis. If you're reeeeaallllyyy into foreign cultures then it's great, but unless you have family there or you have connections of some kind, it's the worst tourist place any typical tourist could go to. White teachers from my secondary school took a couple of students there to do charity work and they really loved it. They're into foreign cultures and charity work and all that so it was fine for them. If I didn't have family to go with I wouldn't go at all. I can speak the language (I'm not great at it!) and I can just about read it. It's difficult to get around unless you know the language or you have a translator.
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
no
ronmack
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
any country without snow and rain, i'll go.
Applescruff
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's got to be better than Birmingham. Anything is better than Birmingham.
DErasmus
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Applescruff)
It's got to be better than Birmingham. Anything is better than Birmingham.
Hell is better than Birmingham. At least there's always something interesting going on in Hell.
HeskeyLAD
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
From personal experience, I would say that there are some extraordinary sunsets there. It is also pretty interesting to see blacksmiths/welders (no idea what they're called) physically hammer stuff right in front of you.

It is most definitely not the place for a lie-in inside. Honestly, it gets extremely boring (which is why some of my family there keep me from getting bored) so you need to be getting out pretty much everyday. And it is pretty hot. Either that, or it's random burst of rain...still warm though.

As another poster said, one of the biggest drawbacks is that the traffic is absolutely corrupt, especially in places like Dhaka and Sylhet.

I had to spend my entire two month holiday there. Not gonna lie, the first month was no doubt the most boring month of my life ever. Second month was a lot better, but I was gutted when my dad told me we were staying for another month - and I'm glad we did.

Wish we never went for the first month though.
username927016
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Personally I wouldn't go, the times I've been there with family gotten bitten by mosquitoes, been very hot, had lots of bugs & stuff, frequent power cuts & not much choice in the shops, but yeah it's your choice.
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't
Super199
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Na it would be a **** hole I reckon if you didn't know anyone there
Uw0tm8_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
Personally I wouldn't go, the times I've been there with family gotten bitten by mosquitoes, been very hot, had lots of bugs & stuff, frequent power cuts & not much choice in the shops, but yeah it's your choice.
I absolutely l o v e d it when i went, i didn't mind all those things because i just found it so beautiful ajskajsklasjjahs
username927016
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Uw0tm8_)
I absolutely l o v e d it when i went, i didn't mind all those things because i just found it so beautiful ajskajsklasjjahs
Ah ok, personally I feel more comfortable in England but each to their own
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol, no. Though I hear Thailand is good this time of year.
effofex
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
Lol, no. Though I hear Thailand is good this time of year.
I am going in 1 week's time! (Phuket and environs) (re. Bangladesh - I heard great fun for surfing, kayaking and exploring the mangrove swamps). Probably quite good to explore on a motorcycle. If you're from a really 'organized' part of the world (like Japan, Korea or Western Europe) though, you would probably struggle with the chaos on the roads...
Rum Ham
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No I wouldn't want to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
MAYBE
SmallDuck
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No.
ptnme11
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
yeah I would, but that's because I'm bengali and I have love for bangladesh. I spent a few months of my gap year in Bangladesh, and at first I was staying at a house and I absolutely hated it because there were so many problems with electricity, water etc and I couldn't cope with the heat. Then I moved to a hotel and it was so much better because of air conditioning lol.

Personally I think Bangladesh is only enjoyable if you're there with people you enjoy spending time with, and I think most of the touristy things would only interest people who are either bengali or genuinely interested in bengali culture and history. There's not a huge selection of touristy things either, there's places like cox's bazaar, jaflong, zakaria city, adventure world etc but tbh most of the touristy things are really boring unless you're with fun people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads