The Student Room Group

Inter-College Transfer - Oxford

I need some information and advice from anybody who has heard or gone through this kind of experience re: undergraduate study

Question 1: Can I transfer from one college A to College B? I have accepted an unconditional offer for a law course at College A but my scholarship does not permit me to study at College but instead College B. What good reasons should I give to both Colleges that would make both sides happy?

Question 2: What are the procedures involved for this transfer possibility?

Question3: Are inter-college transfers widely done by foreign students?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I have never heard of anyone changing colleges except undergrads at one college doing graduate studies at a different college. No-one changes during their course. We have a new PhD student in our lab who is from Switzerland. He had to get into one particular college to get his scholarship. If he didn't get into that college, he couldn't come as his Swiss nationals scholarship is attached to one college only.
Reply 2
I've heard of people transfering colleges for scholarship reasons, but it is at the discression of both Colls involved. It's more common amongst graduates than undergrads though.....

All you can do is try....
Reply 3
i've heard of someone who succeeded in transferring from St Edmund Hall because she hated it - so if it's that college, you might be in luck. generally exceptionally hard to do, tho'
Reply 4
Fluffy
I've heard of people transfering colleges for scholarship reasons, but it is at the discression of both Colls involved. It's more common amongst graduates than undergrads though.....

All you can do is try....

How common is it amongst graduates? For what reasons do they switch?
Reply 5
MTJ
How common is it amongst graduates? For what reasons do they switch?

things like scholarships on the whole. Usually from graduate colleges to colleges with money to burn!!
Reply 6
It is possible, read somewhere about it. But takes a lot of work, need so many people to agree...as well as having a goood enough reason. You haven't even started at your college..so it won't go down well if as soon as you arrive you declare you want to change colleges.
Reply 7
When I got my offer I was told by the intl office that I may have to change college if I get the scholarship I applied for. Fortunately, I didnt have to since my college was offering the scholarship that year.

It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to change colleges if you scholarship comes from one particular college. I'm not sure about the scholarships given by the university.
Reply 8
Well, it has been a long time since a subject like this has come up.

TRANSFERRING COLLEGES IS POSSIBLE AND ALLOWED

The process is called migration and is easier than you would imagine. All you have to do is ask the tutor for admissions at the college you would like to go to give them a good reason and get a recommendation from your current tutor. It happens rarely but it does happen. There is currently a girl in 3rd year at St Peter's who migrated from St Catherine's.

I am starting to feel long in the tooth.
Learn how to spell, Matthew. I know you might just be an Engineer but who knows, at some point you could end up giving Economics lectures. :tongue: (in-joke)
Reply 10
why are there so many celebrities at st peters?
Every college can have celebrities if there's a resident media whore able to spin stories to the press. Fancy front page of tomorrow's Telegraph Elpaw?... Ahh you had your fame on April Fool's day anyway.
Reply 12
Jools
Learn how to spell, Matthew. I know you might just be an Engineer but who knows, at some point you could end up giving Economics lectures. :tongue: (in-joke)

He should really have been arrested for that. It is fraud, after all - and astonishingly arrogant.
Reply 13
Shows what you know......I didn't break a single law. :tongue:

Arrest your tongue before your hurt yourself.

You know I have been a member of this board for 3 years and have never posted, and today I posted twice.
Reply 14
matthew
Shows what you know......I didn't break a single law. :tongue:

Arrest your tongue before your hurt yourself.

You know I have been a member of this board for 3 years and have never posted, and today I posted twice.

You defrauded the foreign university, surely? It may have been their own error, but since you weren't who they thought you were you defrauded them of the cost of your airfare and accomodation - a significant amount.
Reply 15
So how is that a crime? If someone gives you the wrong change at a shop and you don't notice until you get home, have you stolen from the shop? No. I did nothing.
Reply 16
d750
You defrauded the foreign university, surely? It may have been their own error, but since you weren't who they thought you were you defrauded them of the cost of your airfare and accomodation - a significant amount.

Something tells me you will lose this argument, for several reasons. Firstly, this guy is clearly not stupid, or he wouldn't have got as far with his stunt as he did. Secondly, he knows a huge amount more about it than you, what with being the protagonist of the whole thing. Finally, he's likely to have argued every single angle of this thing hundreds of times over; there's probably nothing you can say he won't have heard before, and had a chance to think a counterpoint for.

Also, I think Jools' website (OxfordGossip) metions him as a fairly prominent member of The Union. So he's clearly an experienced debater.
Reply 17
matthew
So how is that a crime? If someone gives you the wrong change at a shop and you don't notice until you get home, have you stolen from the shop? No. I did nothing.

Would you at least concede it was morally wrong?

(I'm still not convinced it wasn't fraud. Unless you get £1,000 of change it's not really the same thing)
Reply 18
H&E
Something tells me you will lose this argument, for several reasons. Firstly, this guy is clearly not stupid, or he wouldn't have got as far with his stunt as he did. Secondly, he knows a huge amount more about it than you, what with being the protagonist of the whole thing. Finally, he's likely to have argued every single angle of this thing hundreds of times over; there's probably nothing you can say he won't have heard before, and had a chance to think a counterpoint for.

Also, I think Jools' website (OxfordGossip) metions him as a fairly prominent member of The Union. So he's clearly an experienced debater.

I didn't think it would be arguable, to be honest - is his position defensible? I'm not attacking his intelligence or his debating skills, either - I have no reason to assume that they are either above or below average. And I do know who he is.
Reply 19
d750
I didn't think it would be arguable, to be honest - is his position defensible? I'm not attacking his intelligence or his debating skills, either. And I do know who he is.

Well he's not been imprisoned, or formally charged. In fact, the only thing he appears to be in trouble for is leaving college without permission. So his position can't be all the weak. When I read the story, it seemed to me that technically he was invited, they just got the wrong guy (two people called Matthew Richardson it seems). He accepted the invitation, and off it went. He didn't defraud the Chinese, they just paid for a different product than that which they thought they were getting.

Must be interesting though, when applying for jobs and stuff at interview...that suspicion that halfway through, they interviewer will say "wait a minute, aren't you the guy who...". Could be an advantage, but could also lead to being shown the door rather quickly.

Latest

Trending

Trending