Just Joined my Local "The Gym", Any advice...? Watch

Ryan_Anthony_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Guys. Just joined the Gym after wanting too for a long time, Considering I'm like a stick insect my intentions are to:
  1. Tone Up - Want Definition but not ridiculous amounts
  2. Bulk Up - Some size to me would be nice, Everything I wear is baggy and I despise it.
  3. Stamina - Big thing for me, Currently become ****ed walking up the stairs, Not good for an 18 year old...
  4. Attractiveness, Apart from getting fit it'd be nice to finally become attractive

So guys, What do I need to take to the gym? Protein Shakes worth it? Post workout snacks? Best Workout attire?

Was thinking of doing perhaps a short run to warm up before each workout? Good idea?

If anyone on here does fitness plans, I'd be eternally grateful if you could make me one....

Basically any infor you've got that would be helpful would be handy! Thanks Guys!!!

Ps: I'm 6ft 2 and 140lb's...
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok so

First what equipment does your "The gym"? they differ widely between them.

If it has a squat rack - ideal. However many don't

First of all diet. You need to eat, you're underweight. Use a calorie counter like My fitness pal and you at your weight should be aiming to eat at least 3000 calories a day, quite possibly more. Use a TDEE calculator like on iifym.com to work out what you need to maintain your weight and you should be eating 500+ calories a day on that.

Protein shake wise, depends how much protein you have in your diet. Eating 100g a day at your weight would be more than enough.

Routine wise, if you have a squat rack ICF5x5 or Stronglifts 5x5 are ideal... google them.

If your gym doesn't then leg press may well have to suffice in place of squats.

Video yourself and upload them to the technique thread on here and we can give you feed back

That's all you need to know

Good luck
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Read the stickies. Eat big. Lift big. Get on a sensible routine. You need to do the research, if you can't be bothered to do that then can you really be bothered to put the several years worth of work in at the gym to get a good physique?
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Leave and join a decent gym. Not sure about your branch but mine had ONE barbell. ONE.

But yeah, read the stickies, start a program, sort out your diet etc.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If The Gym is anything like Pure Gym then I wouldn't waste your time unless you are happy to train outside of normal hours. They're overcrowded and are 75% cardio. The weights stuff can be good but there's barely any of it
I remember paying £10 for the month and feeling short changed. Worst gym
Afshand96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Leave the gym, find yourself a place more suitable for serious gains

Posted from TSR Mobile
Justmate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Laugh.... Why not gym? Everyone starts

I got years of experience. I learned everything on my own by long road of training If you want diet, training plan, advices- write to me. I'll get across everything you for free by skype.
I want to increase my english speaking ability so we both could help each other.
datpiff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
If The Gym is anything like Pure Gym then I wouldn't waste your time unless you are happy to train outside of normal hours. They're overcrowded and are 75% cardio. The weights stuff can be good but there's barely any of it
I remember paying £10 for the month and feeling short changed. Worst gym
Yeah, I agree I was a member of The Gym and the biggest advantage of joining is being able to train outside of normal hours. The place was perfect for me as I used to go at 11pm. It's pretty good when the gym isn't very busy. If anyone wants to train during normal hours though I'd find another gym. My main criticism of The Gym like you is too many cardio machines and not enough weights. It should be 50% cardio and 50% weights. There is no need for all the treadmills they have in there! Sooooo many treadmills. I like a run and enjoy cardio like the next man but balance things out! The staff weren't very helpful either.

My main advice is:
* go in the morning. Avoid the evening if possible. Everyone, everyones gran, grandad, boyfriend, girlfriend, cousin, friend and dog go from 5:00pm to 7:30pm. Sunday mornings are great for workout. Everyone is hungover and in bed.
* Take what you read on here (including opinions on what you should do, insults, etc) with a pinch of salt. Get your research and information from good sources (not forums). Recognise that everyone has different needs.
* Don't go big straight away (no matter what some guys say). Correct technique is important. So many guys trying to impress other guys in the free weights area lifting tons of ****. Work your way up from the bottom. It's better to look like a noob than look like a ******** looking to do themselves an injury.

Posted from TSR Mobile
datpiff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ryan_Anthony_)
Hi Guys. Just joined the Gym after wanting too for a long time, Considering I'm like a stick insect my intentions are to:
  1. Tone Up - Want Definition but not ridiculous amounts
  2. Bulk Up - Some size to me would be nice, Everything I wear is baggy and I despise it.
  3. Stamina - Big thing for me, Currently become ****ed walking up the stairs, Not good for an 18 year old...
  4. Attractiveness, Apart from getting fit it'd be nice to finally become attractive

So guys, What do I need to take to the gym? Protein Shakes worth it? Post workout snacks? Best Workout attire?

Was thinking of doing perhaps a short run to warm up before each workout? Good idea?

If anyone on here does fitness plans, I'd be eternally grateful if you could make me one....

Basically any infor you've got that would be helpful would be handy! Thanks Guys!!!

Ps: I'm 6ft 2 and 140lb's...
My main advice is:

* go in the morning. Avoid the evening if possible. Everyone, everyones gran, grandad, boyfriend, girlfriend, cousin, friend and dog go from 5:00pm to 7:30pm. Sunday mornings are great for workout. Everyone is hungover and in bed.

* Take what you read on here (including opinions on what you should do, insults, etc) with a pinch of salt. Get your research and information from good sources (not forums). Recognise that everyone has different needs.

* Don't be afraid of the free weights area. It may seem like the most intimidating part of the gym, but honestly, you get your odd ********s from time to time but everyone is mostly in their own little world focussing on their workout

* Don't go big straight away (no matter what some guys say). You don't go from playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to playing a confusing Beethoven piece if you're learning piano. Correct technique is important. So many guys trying to impress other guys in the free weights area lifting tons of ****. Work your way up from the bottom. It's better to look like a noob than look like a ******** looking to do themselves an injury.

* If you plan on doing cardio then get some decent running shoes. Get your foot type analysed at a decent sports store.

* Short runs to warm up are a great idea

* Myprotein are great for cheap protein. There are probably better but for price it's excellent value.

* Don't be afraid of gym classes. I do spinning. Spinning classes are not easy. They are not just for girls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SEHughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't be bothered to read the stickies, you just want to be spoon fed all the information you want. So, you won't be bothered to make the lifestyle changes you're talking about and you should just give up now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads