Two benifits of having a kidney transplant over: Watch

elmosandy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Dialysis..

" The table below shows the concentration of various solutes in dialysis fluid and in the blood plasma of the person with kidney faliure at the start of Dialysis:

Blood Plasma:
Sodium ions: 23
Glucose: 56
Urea: 129
Protein: 73

Dialysis fluid:
Sodium: 17
Urea: 0
Protein: 0

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else...

IGCSE Human Biology.
Harvey Dent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elmosandy)
Dialysis..
1) We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing.
2) Is it really that tricky to consider what the benefits of a small internal organ are over a large, stationary medical machine?
Harvey Dent
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I'm dumb
I just typed in "advantages of kidney transplants over dialysis machines" into Google and the very first result discusses the advantages and disadvantages. How hard are you actually trying?
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harvey Dent)
I just typed in "advantages of kidney transplants over dialysis machines" into Google and the very first result discusses the advantages and disadvantages. How hard are you actually trying?

Oh crap I've just realised, I didn't put in the extra information..

Right for my Homework There's two tables:

" The table below shows the concentration of various solutes in dialysis fluid and in the blood plasma of the person with kidney faliure at the start of Dialysis:

Blood Plasma:

Dialysis fluid:

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ ( only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else, Should I just search on google for the advantages and pick out two then ? ... I'm dumb I told you
elmosandy
Rep:
?
1) We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing.
2) Is it really that tricky to consider what the benefits of a small internal organ are over a large, stationary medical machine?

" We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing. " ?

Google, bing etc are all search engines? I searched for TSR on Google ???, pretty aware google and search engines are a thing, otherwise I wouldn't be on TSR not that dumb :3
Harvey Dent
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh crap I've just realised, I didn't put in the extra information..

Right for my Homework There's two tables:

Blood Plasma:

Dialysis fluid:

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else, Should I just search on google for the advantages and pick out two then ? ... I'm dumb I told you
Ah, that changes things a lot. It's been a while since I've done anything like that, so I don't know if I can be much help. I take back my earlier comment and apologise for being dismissive.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
Ah, that changes things a lot. It's been a while since I've done anything like that, so I don't know if I can be much help. I take back my earlier comment and apologise for being dismissive.

It's my fault for not putting the extra information in! Apology accepted, I guess, been searching on Google but nothing :/
elmosandy
Rep:
?
BUMP
elmosandy
Rep:
?
Bummmmmp
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand the question, two advantages of a transplant over dialysis based on the figures above? You need more information about their immune systems ability to cope with suppression, feasibility of transplant etc.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Although, dialysis fluid needs more than the above, usually it contains important calcium and potassium.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
I don't understand the question, two advantages of a transplant over dialysis based on the figures above? You need more information about their immune systems ability to cope with suppression, feasibility of transplant etc.

Well that's the question and it just says based on the data above state two advantages....

Take in note I'm only on IGCSE Level...
elmosandy
Rep:
?
Although, dialysis fluid needs more than the above, usually it contains important calcium and potassium.

This is IGCSE Human Biology

In my IGCSE Human Biology course it hasn't stated that there's calcium and potassium...

Remember i'm only on IGCSE Level not A-Level or whatever
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is IGCSE Human Biology

In my IGCSE Human Biology course it hasn't stated that there's calcium and potassium...

Remember i'm only on IGCSE Level not A-Level or whatever
We didn't cover this stuff until A Level, so I can't really help you then.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
We didn't cover this stuff until A Level, so I can't really help you then.

:/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise