The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford: Clinical Sciences (Foundation Year) 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sasukekuns
Okay, so I personally contacted Bradford, asking whether I should apply for Foundation or Year 1 because I didn't know if they accepted applicants with science A-levels for Foundation. This is their response:

Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for your email and interest in the Clinical Sciences programme hopefully the following information will be useful to you.

Clinical Sciences is a collaborative programme between the University of Bradford and Leeds Medical School. The course has been designed to encourage students from a wide range of backgrounds into medical and healthcare education and aims to widen access into medicine for students from under-represented groups. There is a formal link with the Medical School that allows up to 40 students a year to progress from Clinical Sciences to the MBChB at Leeds subject to meeting the academic, non-academic and widening participation criteria.

If you are a Home/UK student and think you may meet widening participation criteria and are considering the transfer to medicine option entry to Clinical Sciences is via the Foundation year (B991).

Applications to the Foundation Year in Clinical Sciences/Medicine are made through UCAS (the deadline is 15 January) and the minimum academic entry requirement for the Foundation Year in 2015 is 260 points at A level (or equivalent) to include at least 2 full A levels at grade C or above and we do not specify any particular subjects. We also require at least grade C in English Language, Maths and Science at GCSE level or equivalent. We would need more information on your Spanish qualifications to ensure equivalency for Maths and Science (unless you are doing these subjects at A level). We do need an English Language qualification (unless you are studying English at A level) we do accept IELTS and require an overall grade of 6.5 with not less than 6.0 in any sub-category.

In addition to the academic side we screen the personal statement for evidence of a range of relevant healthcare experiences and the personal qualities necessary for a future health professional (e.g. insight into medicine/healthcare; (voluntary) work that gives an insight into the health needs of vulnerable groups; responsibility; commitment; teamwork; communication skills etc). Applicants who meet both the academic and non-academic thresholds are invited for interview and we only make offers following a successful interview.

The Foundation year is a full-time course and is Year 0 of a 4 year degree leading to a BSc (Hons) Clinical Sciences. Students study the following 6 modules:
Biology
Chemistry
Laboratory and Study Skills
Health and Society
Special Studies
Personal and Professional Development

As mentioned above, we have a formal link with Leeds Medical School - and have up to 20 ring-fenced places for our students in Year 1 of the MBChB. Students have to meet our widening participation criteria and achieve strict academic conditions to be eligible to apply to transfer - currently this involves achieving an overall average of above 70%, to include at least 70% in the Chemistry module, and passing every module at first attempt. This permits students to make an internal application to transfer to Medicine and Leeds screen the applications in a similar way to a UCAS application - but they substitute previous qualifications with the academic transcript from the Foundation year. Leeds select the students they wish to interview and make offers to up to 20 students who meet their requirements. The majority of students progress into Year 1 of the BSc (Hons) Clinical Sciences degree. We cannot guarantee that any student will transfer - it is dependent on academic performance and further selection by Leeds Medical School. From this September Clinical Sciences students intending to apply to transfer to medicine will also be required to sit BMAT (in line with all applications to Leeds Medical School) and this will be organised for eligible students in March of the Foundation year.

Year 1 of Clinical Sciences has been accredited by the GMC as being the equivalent of Year 1 of the MBChB at Leeds - therefore we have a further 20 places in Year 2 of the MBChB for our first year students to apply for. Again - widening participation and academic criteria needs to be met in order to allow the application (currently this involves achieving above 60% average across the year and passing every element of every module at first attempt) - which is then screened etc as above. Year 1 students will also sit BMAT in March.

The majority of students continue with the full degree in Clinical Sciences - and many of them go on to do graduate medicine (subject to degree classification) as well as into a wide range of other graduate career and postgraduate study opportunities.

Applicants who do not meet the widening participation criteria are encouraged to apply to the Clinical Sciences programme either via the Foundation year or directly into Year 1 of the BSc (subject to qualifications). The academic entry requirements for direct entry to Year 1 are a minimum of 300 points at A level to include 100 points/grade B in Biology and 100 points/grade B in Chemistry. The BSc leads to a variety of healthcare and graduate careers. Clinical Sciences is a highly regarded, relevant degree for graduate entry medicine and each year around a third of our graduates are accepted into medical schools throughout the UK, as well as into a wide range of postgraduate study programmes and graduate careers.

Hope this will be of help~

BMAT 😁😁.. Sounds like a catastrophe about to happen. It would be nice to know how they'll use it. With grades and ps for interview selection. Or post-interview for similar candidates.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Does anyone know how to send the widening participation criteria form back? Is it supposed to be done by post?
I tried filling it out on Word, hoping to just e-mail it back until I saw that it requires a signature.
Does anyone know how to send the widening participation criteria form back? Is it supposed to be done by post?
I tried filling it out on Word, hoping to just e-mail it back until I saw that it requires a signature.

I just printed my name as my signature
Original post by medicine2015
I just printed my name as my signature

So you just sent back the electronic file / Word document (with your details filled in) to the e-mail address? And they accepted it?
So you just sent back the electronic file / Word document (with your details filled in) to the e-mail address? And they accepted it?

Yeh
I've filled it out then printed for signature and date and then scanned it to send per email.. Should've probably just signed with my name and save time lol.
Original post by Giggy88
I've filled it out then printed for signature and date and then scanned it to send per email.. Should've probably just signed with my name and save time lol.

Lol I guess it doesn't really matter since they give you a week to send it back.
Reply 87
Has anyone got an interview for the Bradford foundation year entry into medicine?
Any interview tips??
Thanks
Original post by strange_evil
Any interview tips??
Thanks

Hello, sorry for the late response.
I'm a newbie applicant myself so I'm just using advice from previous forums I've read on previous Medicine interviews in Bradford.

They may ask you questions based on your PS so make sure you revise your PS the day/night before! They may also ask you questions related to your previous studies of Biology or Chemistry e.g. the human heart, proteins or anything that you mentioned in your PS that you know about either subject.

As for PS content, they may ask you about your work experiences and qualities you learned from them e.g. I read from someone that they mentioned working in a care home before and they were asked what it was like and what they learned during their interview. Similarly, they will ask you why you want to go into the profession/degree of your choice.

Basically, just learn everything from your PS and anything that you've mentioned that you know about (e.g. someone briefly talked about the heart in their PS and got asked about it).

As for first impressions, keep the handshake firm and short. Don't cross your arms. Make eye contact with the person interviewing you. Don't be too arrogant but don't be too bashful either. In other words, try to be the most likable person you can be. Speak clearly; don't talk too fast nor too slow, booming loud nor inaudible.

Good luck!
Reply 90
Anyone got an interview 28 Jan??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flux90
Anyone got an interview 28 Jan??

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you submit your application?
Reply 92
guys i have my interview on the 11th of feb and i have no idea what time its at... are we meant to find out on the day of the interview itself or? :confused:
Original post by farah890
guys i have my interview on the 11th of feb and i have no idea what time its at... are we meant to find out on the day of the interview itself or? :confused:

Call/email them?
Reply 94
I've an interview for the 11th as well, the day starts at 11.45? Did you get a letter or?
When did you guys send off ur applications/get an invite so I can have a rough estimate time
Reply 96
I sent mine in October lol took a while to get word back! Got the letter for interview yesterday :smile:
Wow thanks!
Reply 98
Not a bother! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply?
This month lol 😱. All the best though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending