The Student Room Group

How much discrimination do black men face in the current jobs market?

I feel as though my race is a factor that comes into the equation everytime I go for an interview. Like they are always more likely to go for the white applicant with similar skills because he's perceived to be 'the norm'. I would have a better chance of employment if I was white, had a southern English accent and was middle class. The phenomena of white privilege.

I feel annoyed and not part of mainstream society. I never fill in the monitoring forms anymore as well. They (the law) say discrimination is illegal, but recruitment processes aren't exactly policed. There isn't exactly many black people on interview panels (Asians are more common, but very very rarely blacks in my experience)

I feel as though there are higher expectations for black male applicants when it comes to looking for a job. You have to prove yourself more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In this country, virtually zero.
Original post by datpiff
I
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
(Asians are more common, but very very rarely blacks in my experience)

You know why? Because they don't have that victim mentality. If a company rejects you, try to improve yourself and move on, rather than complain about virtually nonexistent racial discrimination. Moreover, there are more than twice as many asians in the UK than black people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Godzilla123
You know why? Because they don't have that victim mentality. If a company rejects you, try to improve yourself and move on, rather than complaining about virtually nonexistent racial discrimination. Moreover, there are more than twice as many asians in the UK than black people.

Have you forgotten about the slave trade? The civil rights movement, the 1970s?

I don't think whites have a right to tell blacks to stop treating racial discrimination as an issue. To say that racial discrimination is virtually non-existent is ignorant IMO. Straight up racism might be. Racism is institutionalised and hidden behind the scenes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
After you control for intelligence, non-cognitive skills, and early childhood environment - very little

http://ftp.iza.org/dp1453.pdf

We investigate the relative significance of differences in cognitive skills and discrimination in explaining racial/ethnic wage gaps. We show that cognitive test scores taken prior to entering the labor market are influenced by schooling. Adjusting the scores for racial/ethnic differences in education at the time the test is taken reduces their role in accounting for the wage gaps. We also consider evidence on parental and child expectations about education and on stereotype-threat effects. We find both factors to be implausible alternative explanations for the gaps we observe. We argue that policies need to address the sources of early skill gaps and to seek to influence the more malleable behavioral abilities in addition to their cognitive counterparts. Such policies are far more likely to be effective in promoting racial and ethnic equality for most groups than are additional civil rights and affirmative action policies targeted at the workplace.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Have you forgotten about the slave trade? The civil rights movement, the 1970s?

I don't think whites have a right to tell blacks to stop treating racial discrimination as an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's easier to cry about the past than do something about the present, right? Also, white privilege is complete BS, since being born in the UK is a greater privilege itself than being white. As an Eastern European living in the UK I can relate to this (you certainly take things for granted mate). You don't see me complain about xenophobia when I get rejected though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I feel as though my race is a factor that comes into the equation everytime I go for an interview. Like they are always more likely to go for the white applicant with similar skills because he's perceived to be 'the norm'. I would have a better chance of employment if I was white, had a southern English accent and was middle class. The phenomena of white privilege.

I feel annoyed and not part of mainstream society. I never fill in the monitoring forms anymore as well. They (the law) say discrimination is illegal, but recruitment processes aren't exactly policed. There isn't exactly many black people on interview panels (Asians are more common, but very very rarely blacks in my experience)

I feel as though there are higher expectations for black male applicants when it comes to looking for a job. You have to prove yourself more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no point pondering about stuff like this. Even if I managed to give you some true statistics on the matter what does that change?

You will still apply to jobs at the end of the day won't you?

How many rejections have you had and how many applications have you made? What if I told you I made over 50 applications, had over 10 interviews before I got my job.

Chin up mate. Stay strong, keep applying and you WILL find a job.
Reply 8
Original post by datpiff

I don't think whites have a right to tell blacks to stop treating racial discrimination as an issue. To say that racial discrimination is virtually non-existent is ignorant IMO. Straight up racism might be. Racism is institutionalised and hidden behind the scenes. ]

This is largely nonsense. Recent black African immigrants do well on the labor market (in both the UK/US), as do other non-white groups, notably Indians and Chinese (both of whom earn above the white average). This is not consistent with 'institutional racism' explanations.

Poverty isnt an explanation either - from the same paper I cited above:

Hispanic children start with cognitive and noncognitive deficits similar to those of black children. They also grow up in similar disadvantaged environments, and are likely to attend schools of similar quality. Hispanics have substantially less schooling than blacks. Nevertheless, the ability growth by years of schooling is much higher for Hispanics than blacks. By the time they reach adulthood, Hispanics have significantly higher test scores than blacks. Conditional on test scores, there is no evidence of an important Hispanic-white wage gap. Our analysis of the Hispanic data illuminates the traditional study of black-white differences and casts doubt on many conventional explanations of these differences since they do not apply to Hispanics who also suffer from many of the same disadvantages.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not sure, but surely it would depend on the location?

For instance NI is bound to have more cases of such prejudice than central London, I think
Reply 10
Also the slave trade wasnt any worse than what either Jews or Irish people have suffered over the last 2-3 centuries (multiple attempted genocides, forced to live in ghettos, denied most human rights, literally banned from working in most high paying jobs, etc), yet both of those groups do well. Jews are the wealthiest and most successful/powerful people in pretty much every country they live in, and the Irish are at a level similar to non-Irish whites.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends on the location and field.

In London virtually zero.
Original post by poohat
Also the slave trade wasnt any worse than what either Jews or Irish people have suffered over the last 2-3 centuries (multiple attempted genocides, forced to live in ghettos, literally banned from working in most high paying jobs, etc), yet both of those groups do well. Jews are the wealthiest and most successful/powerful people in pretty much every country they live in, and the Irish are at around the non-Irish white british level.

Stop using logic mate! We all know this is because of white privilege.
Reply 13
Original post by novadragon849
There is no point pondering about stuff like this. Even if I managed to give you some true statistics on the matter what does that change?

You will still apply to jobs at the end of the day won't you?

How many rejections have you had and how many applications have you made? What if I told you I made over 50 applications, had over 10 interviews before I got my job.

Chin up mate. Stay strong, keep applying and you WILL find a job.

Thanks for one of the few not insulting, not ignorant as **** posts :smile:

Yeah, I feel that we get there but I feel for black applicants there's more effort required (more interviews needed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poohat
Also the slave trade wasnt any worse than what either Jews or Irish people have suffered over the last 2-3 centuries (multiple attempted genocides, forced to live in ghettos, literally banned from working in most high paying jobs, etc), yet both of those groups do well. Jews are the wealthiest and most successful/powerful people in pretty much every country they live in, and the Irish are at around the non-Irish white british level.

Excuse me ?!?!?!

The suffering of the Irish is on a level with the transatlantic slave trade ?!?!

Did someone smack your head with a brick ?!?!

Are you for real right now.

Say he won't experience discrimination but in your life don't even ****ing dare compare the transatlantic slave trade to the suffering of the Irish.

Don't even ****ing go there.
Reply 15
We could also talk about the large numbers of relatively poor Indians who came to the UK between 1930-1980 who suffered terrible amounts of explicit racism (even 15 years ago it was still acceptable to call them 'pakis') yet who now as a group have average education/salary levels greater than those of the white british.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by PrincessAlexis
Depends on the location and field.

In London virtually zero.

Original post by R Dragon
I'm not sure, but surely it would depend on the location?

For instance NI is bound to have more cases of such prejudice than central London, I think

I'm nowhere near London. I'm up north in Yorkshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Excuse me ?!?!?!

The suffering of the Irish is on a level with the transatlantic slave trade ?!?!

Did someone smack your head with a brick ?!?!

Are you for real right now.

Say he won't experience discrimination but in your life don't even ****ing dare compare the transatlantic slave trade to the suffering of the Irish.

Don't even ****ing go there.

Yeah that's how I feel. Incredibly ignorant. I don't even wanna get into that one. You cannot compare Irish struggling to the transatlantic slave trade and the civil rights movement. Disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I'm nowhere near London. I'm up north in Yorkshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to advise you brother but in Yorkshire, yes you will experience discrimination. Some people will give you a chance but the further up you go the more ignorant people are.

My advice ?

Once you finish university move to London.

Your life will be better.

I have interned between London & NYC (in Investment Banking) and unless it's a metropolitan city I don't even bother.

London, NYC, Paris etc. Stick to there.

Don't even bother with these out of reach cities with a small number of minorities.

Don't even bother bro.

Not worth it.
Reply 19
I'm sorry to advise you brother but in Yorkshire, yes you will experience discrimination. Some people will give you a chance but the further up you go the more ignorant people are.

My advice ?

Once you finish university move to London.

Your life will be better.

I have interned between London & NYC (in Investment Banking) and unless it's a metropolitan city I don't even bother.

London, NYC, Paris etc. Stick to there.

Don't even bother with these out of reach cities with a small number of minorities.

Don't even bother bro.

Not worth it.

It's where I was born unfortunately. It's getting out which is hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending