Turn on thread page Beta

Continuing relationships at uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    im taking it as a sign for you that when i went to reply to your thread soemthing perked up my ears and playing on the radio was mine and my boyfriendssong, never tear us apart by INXS, im taking it as a good sign for you, i was going to tell you that you sound like your ready to go the distance with this guy and you sound like your relationship is strong enough to take it, the song was a bonus. i hope everything works out for you and i think you should give it a go, i'll have to face the same problem next year with my boyfriend but i never thought about not trying, he's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    my bf has already broken up with me b4 i even started uni. he thinks that i'l b too far away and that i'l leave him stranded once i get to comfortable at uni, its a shame since we'v bin together for almost 2 yrs now.
    oh well the lesson to be learnt is that life goes on....

ReputationRep:
    its best to go to uni single; you're free to do whatever you want, and move on with your life

ReputationRep:
    theres no harm in trying to continue the relationship if u really care for the other person. y give up on something without even trying? i agree that it mite b difficult when meeting new friends and missing ur partner etc but if youve been with someone for a while then u obviously care for them and therefore wud make sacrifices to keep the relationship going.
    im going to a london/ surrey uni in sep (hopefully) and i liv in surrey at the mo so it wont be a long way away from my boyfriend thankfully and im going to stay with him. id like to think that if i was going further away i would stil try to be with him. when you love someone its bound to be worth the effort
    * pukes over self for being so soppy*

ReputationRep:
    Wow, old thread

(Original post by Quiksilver)
    its best to go to uni single; you're free to do whatever you want, and move on with your life
    Nice idea in theory maybe, but if I were to break up with my boyfriend purely for the reason that "it's best to go to uni single", I'd probably spend the first few weeks in tears and doing anything but moving on with my life What's "best" is all relative...

ReputationRep:
    i'll be living with mine...really hope we don't break up cos housing would be a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucykins)
    i'll be living with mine...really hope we don't break up cos housing would be a nightmare
    I went to university in Manchester last September with a girlfriend who was living in London. It was a tough year and I have no regrets. But in the end tihngs did get too much.

I loved this girl - really I did and still do. I hope we have a future together. We are gonig to keep in touch and see what happens when we are a bit older.

For what its worth, I do not feel it is possible to totally enjoy university to the full with a gf/bf in tow, particularly if it is a distance relationship. You will take up too many weekends seeing and being seen my your gf/bf, unless you are happy to not see each other for 4+ weeks on end. Now maybe you can do 3 or so years of this and live happily ever after - but I do think you'd have missed out slightly at uni. But to some people that is a justifiable sacrifice.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that you probably don't get as much out of uni if you are with someone who is a long way away, and i also realise that im going to be missing out on a lot by living with mine...I have to admit that i'm beginning to get cold feet about the whole thing and realise that i need my own space and my own friends...i suppose i can give it a go and if i still don't like it move out. the most difficult thing is we're both in the same department (purely by chance - we didn't even know each other when we decided on courses and uni's) so we can't even get some space at uni as we'll always be within in one lecture room of each other. TBH i think i have to give it some serious consideration

Good luck to you and your gf and i hope you manage the 3 years - you should come out the other end with a really strong relationship

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.