Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are they?

How do you recognise?

When do I use it?

How is it different from English?

ReputationRep:
    The Accusative case is when something is being done to an object e.g. the boy kicked the ball - the ball would be in the accusative because it is being kicked.

Your nominative articles are: der die das die/ ACCUSATIVE changes to DEN die das die (only changes in the masculine) e.g. siehst du den alten mann? (have you seen the old man?)

Dative is the 'to' case, you use it to say you are doing something to something. the articles are DEM/DER/DEM/DEN

I remember the endings as MRMN (Mister Men)

For example, I am writing to you (formal) Ich schreibe Ihnen would be an example of when you can also use the dative.

You also have prepositions which take either the accusative or dative and some are mixed -

an/auf/hinter/in/neben/ueber/unter/vor/zwischen are the mixed prepositions. When there is movement, you use the accusative, if there is no movement, you use the dative. E.g. Der Ball ist auf dem Tisch.

FUDGEBO (fuer/um/durch/gegen/entlang/bis/ohne) after this, you would use the accusative

aus/ausser/bei/gegenueber/mit/nach/seit/von/zu all take the dative

Some verbs and expressions also use the dative and accusative e.g. Es ist mir egal (I don't care) or when you want to say I feel hot/cold - mir ist heiss/kalt (ich bin heiss/kalt doesn't mean the same thing).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2014

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.