The Student Room Group

Does going to a Russell Group univeristy really enhance your employability?

I am torn between studying Criminology at the University of Manchester and Birmingham City. I prefer Birmingham City because I like the accommodation and how close it is to the uni and the fact that my course is going to be taught in a brand new building. However, I am learning more towards the University of Manchester because it is a Russell Group and I have heard that employers look favourably upon graduates from these 'prestigious' universities.

Does anyone have any advice please?
To some degree, yes. For very competitive fields, Russell Group unis will be looked upon more favourably. I must stress this, and I can't stress this enough: Russell group unis won't get you the job because it's on your cv. They merely provide better opportunities during your undergraduate. Top employers will flock to these unis to give careers support, presentations etc. What you do whilst at uni is ultimately your business and it is up to you to make the most of the opportunities made available to you. I know plenty of Russell Group grads who did eff all and their applications simply do not measure up to the standards of other candidates.
I dunno. I always say that institution doesn't really matter. Though, it does carry some weight. Employers may be unfamiliar with Birmingham City university, which compared to other ex-polys is not so well known - whilst Man Uni is very prestigious and well known. Do you intend to do PG ed? I personally would go for Manchester, if you're going to be paying to live away from home anyway.
Work experience in most fields tend to be the determining factor for employers though.
Reply 3
Original post by hellodave5
I dunno. I always say that institution doesn't really matter. Though, it does carry some weight. Employers may be unfamiliar with Birmingham City university, which compared to other ex-polys is not so well known - whilst Man Uni is very prestigious and well known. Do you intend to do PG ed? I personally would go for Manchester, if you're going to be paying to live away from home anyway.
Work experience in most fields tend to be the determining factor for employers though.

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes i do intend on doing a postgraduate, however, i am unsure on what course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by cloningsheep
To some degree, yes. For very competitive fields, Russell Group unis will be looked upon more favourably. I must stress this, and I can't stress this enough: Russell group unis won't get you the job because it's on your cv. They merely provide better opportunities during your undergraduate. Top employers will flock to these unis to give careers support, presentations etc. What you do whilst at uni is ultimately your business and it is up to you to make the most of the opportunities made available to you. I know plenty of Russell Group grads who did eff all and their applications simply do not measure up to the standards of other candidates.

Thank you for yout advice, I intend on doing alot of work experience whilst studying to stand me out from the crowd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teeahz
I am torn between studying Criminology at the University of Manchester and Birmingham City. I prefer Birmingham City because I like the accommodation and how close it is to the uni and the fact that my course is going to be taught in a brand new building. However, I am learning more towards the University of Manchester because it is a Russell Group and I have heard that employers look favourably upon graduates from these 'prestigious' universities.

Does anyone have any advice please?

On average, if you are doing a weaker degree (like Criminology) at a weaker University (like Birmingham City), unless you add something outstanding to the package, then you are likely to be less employable (whatever that is) than someone with a stronger degree or the same degree from a stronger University.

Note how none of your reasons for preferring Birmingham City are related to employability, they are about your own personal comfort for the next 3 years.

The primary thing that employers usually look for is 'fit' which is primarily defined by your personality and style at interview. However, to get to the interview stage, you have to get through a technical stage through an application form or CV. And that's where decent RG graduates are usually in a stronger position than graduates from weaker Universities, assuming all other aspects of the application are similar.

Note that not all RG Universities are fantastically strong, and not all non-RG Universities are weak by any means. But the above stands pretty true for your options and course.
Non RG unis sometimes cater specifically to employers or have the best courses for that sector of employment. If that's the case, having gone to an RG won't matter.

It's possible it gives you a bit of weighting but I can't imagine very much at all. Sensible recruiters will be looking for your composure at interview, how you've written, presented and worded your CV, coving letter and how strong any technical competency is that might be required.

They're looking for how well you can do the job and I don't really think there is a correlation between having gone to an RG and job performance. If there is a correlation I'd imagine it's tentative at best.

I think what is most important in your situation is how well a fit the modules taught are to your chosen career after and the standards of teaching at the two uni's.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending