The Student Room Group

Does going to a Russell Group univeristy really enhance your employability?

I am torn between studying Criminology at the University of Manchester and Birmingham City. I prefer Birmingham City because I like the accommodation and how close it is to the uni and the fact that my course is going to be taught in a brand new building. However, I am learning more towards the University of Manchester because it is a Russell Group and I have heard that employers look favourably upon graduates from these 'prestigious' universities.

Does anyone have any advice please?
Yes, employers do look more favourably on people with Russell Group degrees. It shows that you are a hard worker, well educated and often you have had better academic support. As well as that, degrees from Russell Group Universities are seen to be harder, or cover more information, so a 1:1 at Manchester is better valued than the same at Birmingham City.

However, Russell Group Universities require lots of hard work, and you have to be a stronger applicant to get in. There often is a competitive atmosphere as well, especially at Cambridge and Oxford.

Good luck!
Yes, if you don't go to a Russell Group then you might as well consign yourself to working for fast food chains as a career.

Well, that's what the 16 year olds if TSR say anyway.
Original post by Teeahz
I am torn between studying Criminology at the University of Manchester and Birmingham City. I prefer Birmingham City because I like the accommodation and how close it is to the uni and the fact that my course is going to be taught in a brand new building. However, I am learning more towards the University of Manchester because it is a Russell Group and I have heard that employers look favourably upon graduates from these 'prestigious' universities.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Are you deciding which university based on whether it is in a new building, nice accommodation and travel convenience? Shouldn't that which affects your whole life ahead carry more weight than temporary inconvenience and comfort?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending