Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All my friends are gorgeous. I feel like the ugly duckling. They have nice clothes and wear makeup and I'm really plain and ugly.
    i know its kinda cliche everyone is beautiful in their own special way. the most gorgeous person in the world could actually be a pretty horrible person.
    if you still feel the same then why don't you go down to the beauty counter at a department store. im sure they can give you some tips

(Original post by munchkineater)
    if you still feel the same then why don't you go down to the beauty counter at a department store. im sure they can give you some tips
    lol, and say what exactly? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As you get older people care less about your looks and more about your personallity. Therefore, IMO study your ass off these couple of years and soon you'll be earning enough money to get yourself a face job Just messin!

To the poster who said that her friends call her ugly, those arn't friends!

ReputationRep:
    lol, and say what exactly? :confused:
    hmm...just say something like can you give me any tips on what colours might suit me, should i use foundation etc. etc?
    i do it all the time and more often than not they pick out stuff for you which you think would look awful on you but makes you look awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acerofspades)
    woooahh Person34...I've seen some over-the-top, "look how good I am", show-off sigs in my short time of surfing this forum, but your sig beats them all. Congratulations.
    lol :p: If they have it let them flaunt it.

ReputationRep:
    I know some really beautiful people (girls in particular) who believe that they are ugly.

I am not going to patronise you by saying that this is all in your head but perhaps you should consider whether you are being too harsh on yourself. I think it's easy to focus on the negative elements and to not put enough emphasis on the positive. Different types of beauty exist and don't just assume that because you don't look similar to your friends that you are automatically less attractive.

With regards to the makeup and clothing issue, why not experiment with different styles and fashions to find one that you are happy with? Don't just follow what your friends are wearing and any changes to your style should be made because you actually want to try something different.

Finally, it's important to remember that clothes and makeup are not an automatic fix to everything. Whilst they may help you reflect your identity and improve your appearance, if there is a deeper problem (e.g. an inferiority complex/ low self esteem) perhaps you should deal with the underlying issues instead of tring to mask it. Talk to your friends about how you feel and you may find that they too are not as confident about their appearance as they seem to be.

I know some really beautiful people (girls in particular) who believe that they are ugly.
    i think i am OK looking, but its people around me that i get negetive comments from. Such as my aunt who said i was average (in lamens term ugly) and my friend who said i was hideous lol. Nice nice people. Yeah my ego got really big from there

ReputationRep:
    listen if u stay long enough at a club im sure EVEN if your the ugliest girl going lots of lads will be after u

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone is solely after male attention. People can want to be good looking because it makes them feel good about themselves, not because all the men will be after them. It's about confidence in your self, not being a piece of easy meat for any man who shows an interest in you. Women should not define them selves by the male attention they get!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not get a makeover? I saw this thing on some daytime TV show yesterday, where Jade Goody's mother got a makeover, she actually looked like an entirely different person. It was genuinely incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Okay people, if this girl thinks she's ugly she is hardly going to have enough confidence to got to a beauty counter and ask for tips, or get a professional make over. The way you dress and whether you wear make up does make a huge difference. But it all comes from feeling better about yourself, and you can start with little things.

1) What's your build? Are you too slim/slim/curvy/overweight?
    2) What about your hair? Long, short, dark, fair, highlited? In a ponytail normally?
    3) What is your face like? Big/smal features, distance between the eyes, small/large/normal forehead?
    4) What kind of clothes do you normally wear?
    5) What are your nails like? (It does make a difference to how good you feel about yourself)

Maybe then we could give you specific advice.

To the poster who said her aunt called her ugly in layman's terms, when i was young, practically EVERYONE called me ugly! Not just average but actually used the word ugly! My mom, my aunties, my grandma, ALL of them! So over time i got used to this notion of me being ugly and i hated looking at mirrors or any reflective surfaces and used to think everyone is prettier than me. I go to a girls school as well so thats hardly a confidence buiding place!

But then i met this guy. Even though it ended badly but during that time he boosted my confidence alot and now i feel much better about myself and realised that however ugly i may think i am, there's gotta be someone out there who's worse. Plus i know alot of beautiful girls and they may be pretty, but they are far from perfect.

so build on what you do have, and feel proud that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomHHHH)
    listen if u stay long enough at a club im sure EVEN if your the ugliest girl going lots of lads will be after u
    I doubt this lol.

ReputationRep:
    To the poster who said her aunt called her ugly in layman's terms, when i was young, practically EVERYONE called me ugly! Not just average but actually used the word ugly! My mom, my aunties, my grandma, ALL of them! So over time i got used to this notion of me being ugly and i hated looking at mirrors or any reflective surfaces and used to think everyone is prettier than me. I go to a girls school as well so thats hardly a confidence buiding place!

But then i met this guy. Even though it ended badly but during that time he boosted my confidence alot and now i feel much better about myself and realised that however ugly i may think i am, there's gotta be someone out there who's worse. Plus i know alot of beautiful girls and they may be pretty, but they are far from perfect.

so build on what you do have, and feel proud that way.
    Was your bf ugly?

ReputationRep:
    I may sound patronising I do not mean to ,but i truly believe a lot of it is perception and how you feel about yourself.are you sure, that you are 'ugly'?
    and its true that there are people out there who will find you more beautifu; than yourfriends,evenif you do not.
    focus on your good points,find clothes and a style that suits you and think of things you are good at and make you feel good about yourself, and it will start to show in your confidence

ReputationRep:
    All my friends are gorgeous. I feel like the ugly duckling. They have nice clothes and wear makeup and I'm really plain and ugly.
    awwww no never say that :hugs: everyones beautiful in their own different ways remember make-up is practically a mask to hide imperfections that's all, and if your friends are wearing it they are masking their own imperfections and more than likely are self-conscious on that matter. I wear plain clothes as well and my friends were OTT outfits but all that matters is what you feel comfortable in and never compare yourself to anyone else. Everyones different, that's the way it's meant to be and a persons individuality can make them the most gorgeous and beautiful person in the world regardless of looks or the clothes they wear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    Why not get a makeover? I saw this thing on some daytime TV show yesterday, where Jade Goody's mother got a makeover, she actually looked like an entirely different person. It was genuinely incredible.
    What; you mean, ostensibly female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    What; you mean, ostensibly female?
    She went from Jade Goody's mum to "I'd definitely do her."

It was staggering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    She went from Jade Goody's mum to "I'd definitely do her."

It was staggering.
    I saw the 'before' mug-shot; suffice it to say, I found myself pondering captions with words to the effect of "Jade's Dad pledges his endorsement".

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the after? She was looking pretty tidy! Much better than Jade, even!

Although admittedly that's not really the sort of achievement the average person would brag about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.