The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College: What to choose if you want Fashion to be your future.

Hello!

I was home schooled in my home country but I moved few weeks ago to London because I have to make one of the biggest choices in my life: school before university! I have to send my application soon, but I didn't make my choice yet!

Should I go to Sixth Form or College? It seems like easy question, Sixth Form of course and it's also what my parents want but it's my life and my choices. So here's my question: Sixth Form or College?

BTW! I'm not sure but I heard that if you decide to do A Levels then you have to do foundation Fashion/Textiles course at COLLEGE but if I decide to do A Levels course in Fashion and/or Textiles then well, it's the same thing? It's all quite confusing and even if I know everything about British education I'm still not sure! Help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Might as well do BTEC
Original post by yzxv
Hello!

I was home schooled in my home country but I moved few weeks ago to London because I have to make one of the biggest choices in my life: school before university! I have to send my application soon, but I didn't make my choice yet!

Should I go to Sixth Form or College? It seems like easy question, Sixth Form of course and it's also what my parents want but it's my life and my choices. So here's my question: Sixth Form or College?

BTW! I'm not sure but I heard that if you decide to do A Levels then you have to do foundation Fashion/Textiles course at COLLEGE but if I decide to do A Levels course in Fashion and/or Textiles then well, it's the same thing? It's all quite confusing and even if I know everything about British education I'm still not sure! Help would be appreciated!

A-levels are much harder than courses at a college.

Colleges are more btech-ish but many have a-levels.
Sixth forum are usually part of schools.

I don't know anything about fashion, it's pretty hard to get into though.
If you want to do a foundation diploma (which you will most likely need for a fashion course), I believe you have to do A-levels first. Go to the sixth form/college that offers the subjects you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
If you want to do a foundation diploma (which you will most likely need for a fashion course), I believe you have to do A-levels first. Go to the sixth form/college that offers the subjects you want to do.

Yes, I have to do foundation diploma but I'm unsure and kind of don't know if I can do A Levels in Fashion and/or Textiles and it's going to be foundation too or you can only do foundation course at the College. I don't know what's the difference between these courses at Sixth Form and College but I do know that it's hard get into University after College which is oblivious. Basically what you're saying is that I should do A Levels at Sixth Form and of course in subjects I want which is Fashion and/or Textiles but then, how to get foundation diploma? Sixth Form does offer it? I heard it doesn't so people are like you have to do it at College but then they're like it's hard get into Uni! So! I also have to do foundation course at College besides A Levels? Thanks!
Original post by yzxv
Yes, I have to do foundation diploma but I'm unsure and kind of don't know if I can do A Levels in Fashion and/or Textiles and it's going to be foundation too or you can only do foundation course at the College. I don't know what's the difference between these courses at Sixth Form and College but I do know that it's hard get into University after College which is oblivious. Basically what you're saying is that I should do A Levels at Sixth Form and of course in subjects I want which is Fashion and/or Textiles but then, how to get foundation diploma? Sixth Form does offer it? I heard it doesn't so people are like you have to do it at College but then they're like it's hard get into Uni! So! I also have to do foundation course at College besides A Levels? Thanks!

Both Sixth Forms and Colleges will offer A-levels. You need to take three A-levels for two years at either a sixth form or college.

After your A-levels, you need to apply for a Foundation Diploma (wikipedia page). This will allow you to build up a portfolio for apply to a university.

I believe some colleges offer this diploma, however this is also offered by universities (kingston uni, for example).

I don't know all that much about the details of applying to this diploma,however, any sixth form/college worth their salt will definitely help you out in applying for one once you start doing A-levels. If you take art A-levels, it's most likely your teachers will have done a foundation diploma and will help you both search for a diploma course that suits you and help you apply for one.

Quick Reply

Latest