Tips on how to improve knowledge on Biology A level/ GCSE or other A level

Watch
Kalsoomb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there. I am new to this forum and I wanted to post some tips and tricks on how to improve on the whether its an A level course or even GCSE course.

I am a college student and since going to my lessons I have picked on a few things I would like to share:

1. Know you're specification - What I mean is know what exam board you're going to sit ,this will make it more helpful for you to know what the exam board wants you to learn. And it will provide you with a strong knowledge of what the exam might be like. - Print out you're specification, of the exam board website. Either AQA, or Ed-excel, OCR or any others that specify to you.
  2. If you have a book that you know is really good, type in all the chapters with the topics in a list. Make additional copies, so one is at home and one at school and an extra for revision. Depending on how you use the paper I would advise is to for revision when learning a topic add categorises and tick them off when done. For example a category could be : Revised once, then next to it - Know some of it, the Know all of it. By ticking of these categories you will know what you have done and what needs to be improved.
  3. Another example of using the list is for home work. By adding two categorises on the right % and grade and end of unit test and the bottom. By doing this you will be able to keep track of which topics you are doing well and in which topics you need to improve on. I would mostly suggest this idea for homework. As it something we do in college and trust me it really helps. In terms of we know where were going wrong and what we can do to improve.
  4. Use revision guides if the books that have big fancy words which I would say confuses all. Personally I ;love revision guides. They break the whole topic up into little fine detailed notes, that are easy to read and remember. And depending on the type of revision guide you get, they often have summary questions on the end of the book with answers. So they're very useful for when testing you're own knowledge.
  5. Do exam papers and exam question.- THAT IS A DEFINITE ONE. Trust me this is one way that will help improve grades as you learn the style of questions asked and know what the examiners are looking for. You can access exam papers from the exam board or type in Google exam style question and some should appear up! -
  6. YouTube videos- Did not think of that one. eh? Well yes there is a lot of resources on you tube. Surprise, Surprise. Yes teachers and students post video's on-line regarding the subject, revision/tips, exam prep and many other things. I find that You tube is very useful if you're not a fan of reading blogs on-line..
  7. Make you're own notes- Trust me writing things in you're own words using the topics words really help in terms of remembering stuff.
  8. Make it fun- Don't just sit there staring at the book,make it fun. Make up acronyms or raps or a song or write on the walls, or sing or listen . Do something that suits you! Quirky enough during my GCSE I made my own acronym for diffusion.

WAG ONE- SO the W=Stands for water
A= Stands for amino acid
G= For glucose
O= And the O stands for oxygen
Very clever!
And that's just about it. If you have any tips do mention so and hopefuly I will post a new thread with more helpful tips. Hope it helped.

VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you very much- this is very helpful. I'm always struggling with the exam technique for biology GCSE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads