Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah phone up for me lol, hmmm or maybe not, what will you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    yeah phone up for me lol, hmmm or maybe not, what will you say?
    Yeah..just give me your details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Another theory: only certain types of people apply for those jobs.
    I think he's right. I had huge difficulties getting jobs in some really crap places. I think it's a combination of this, + they don't want a full time student because they want a full time worker, + personality clash, for example I had considerably better qualifications than the boss of the store I worked in, she only had a few GCSEs. They don't want somebody who they don't relate to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Nobody really wants to employ someone who isn't going to last very long. The fact that you are more qualified means you're not likely to stay very long.
    Yeah and that's fair enough for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I think he's right. I had huge difficulties getting jobs in some really crap places. I think it's a combination of this, + they don't want a full time student because they want a full time worker, + personality clash, for example I had considerably better qualifications than the boss of the store I worked in, she only had a few GCSEs. They don't want somebody who they don't relate to.
    There is a lot of truth in that, the people who run a lot of these places are very working class to the extent of leaving school at 16 to get a job in a factory. They then setup a little shop when they have a bit of money. They don't want some cocky student coming in telling them how things should be done. And to a point they would be right.

Its also hard to respect a boss if they appear to be an oink.

ReputationRep:
    I just wouldn't have the attitude for it. My part time job at the moment is great because the main bos has a PHd and the other one has a masters. So we all quite highly educated and they don't feel intemidated at all by me.

ReputationRep:
    im gonna be picking up an application form from a dry cleaners tommorow i rung them up and asked about the part time job. An application form is better than nothing so hopefully im in with a chance but you never know. Its a saturday job + otherdays maybe so i might have a chance.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.