The Student Room Group

Interviews for Biochemistry at Manchester

Hey guys,

So I recently received an interview date for Manchester for Biochemistry, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or any information on what actually goes on during the interview. My friend had a Chemistry interview and said it was more of a chat than an interview, but I figured I should check before making any preparation decisions.

I know there's an old thread discussing this but given that it's from 2005, I thought it might be a bit outdated.

Steven
Reply 1
Original post by thecre8a
Hey guys,

So I recently received an interview date for Manchester for Biochemistry, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or any information on what actually goes on during the interview. My friend had a Chemistry interview and said it was more of a chat than an interview, but I figured I should check before making any preparation decisions.

I know there's an old thread discussing this but given that it's from 2005, I thought it might be a bit outdated.

Steven

Interviews vary from department to department/subject. Biological sciences interviews are generally just a chat, asking questions like why you chose Manchester, why this course, and things about your interests and things you do in your non academic life. It's nowhere are bad as oxbridge interviews, so don't worry :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by thecre8a
Hey guys,

Steven

I'm a final year biochemist at Manchester, and I have to say I really don't do well under pressure so my interview was one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

You get put into small groups of about 5 or 6 and teamed up with a current student. After a bit of a tour, they took us into the labs where you wait to be called by your interviewer and have a bit of a pep talk from the current student just to reassure you :smile: (Not all interviews are in the labs though apparently). Then the interviewer called me and I have to say the walk from one lab to another felt like it took a week :P

I got asked a few questions about protein transcription and translation, and of course the bog standard 'so why do you want to study Biochemistry?'... at which point my mind went utterly blank. And all I could say was 'uhhhhh'. And the interviewer reassured me, and said to try again. Again nothing. It was horrible, I was shaking like mad.

But somehow, after the most epic fail of an interview known to mankind, I got an offer for AAA. And even though I only got AAB in the end, I still got in. :smile:

(This was supposed to reassure you that you can **** up as much as I did and you're still 95% sure to get an offer, so don't worry :wink: )

Maybe brush up on very general biochemistry stuff, and try and have a good answer for why exactly you want to study biochem.

Good luck! :smile:
I've got my interview on the 28th or Jan and was just wondering what the dress code is for a formal Biochemistry interview. Does anyone know?
Reply 4
That's when mine is! I was just going to go jeans and shirt, not sure what everyone else does though!
Reply 5
Hi!
Is it true that if you get shortlisted for an interview at Manchester you are likely to have and offer?
Original post by Aus_74
Hi!
Is it true that if you get shortlisted for an interview at Manchester you are likely to have and offer?

yeah I think it's pretty much certain :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending