The Student Room Group

Confused about what the uni wants??

I would love to be in a position to apply for engineering at Cambridge next year, and for that I know that apart from academic achievements you need many other things on your UCAS form.

I have already been awarded the Arkwright Scholarship, and am involved in EES and the crest awards. I now have the opportunity to go on a head start course in engineering; however, the dates clash with Gold DoE expedition. What I want to know in your experiences how valued is the DoE award by the university, and would the head start course be of more use to me that the DoE. Any answers would be great, thanks.
Reply 1
sam1990
I would love to be in a position to apply for engineering at Cambridge next year, and for that I know that apart from academic achievements you need many other things on your UCAS form.

I have already been awarded the Arkwright Scholarship, and am involved in EES and the crest awards. I now have the opportunity to go on a head start course in engineering; however, the dates clash with Gold DoE expedition. What I want to know in your experiences how valued is the DoE award by the university, and would the head start course be of more use to me that the DoE. Any answers would be great, thanks.

The engineering thing would be much more impressive than DoE in my opinion. Loads of people do DoE, and it's not related to your subject. The engineering thing is subject-related, which is good.
Reply 2
Do which you think you'd enjoy most. Either would be impressive. But do check if it would be possible to choose different dates for either
Ronove
The engineering thing would be much more impressive than DoE in my opinion. Loads of people do DoE, and it's not related to your subject. The engineering thing is subject-related, which is good.

:ditto: I don't think unis care too much about DoE, but they do care about anything extra you've done that related to your subject.
Reply 4
Is it an assessed DoE? If so, do it because there are other engineering courses and you'd be letting your DoE group (who you've trained with) down. If it's not assessed miss it and if you need an extra practise do Open Gold for the practise and then do your assessed with your group.
sam1990

Go on the course... you will have the chance to do the Gold DoE expedition again (with all your new mates at Uni!) and you won't have the chance for this engineering course again... because the course won't be of use after your degree because you're studying a degree in engineering!
Go for the course! Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending