The Student Room Group

Specific heat capacity

Why do you not get burned from putting your hand in a warm oven, but you do get burned from touching the metal sides of the oven?.. I know the answer has something to do with specific heat capacity but I don't quite know how to explain it in terms of energy transfer etc. :smile:
Original post by Moonie96
Why do you not get burned from putting your hand in a warm oven, but you do get burned from touching the metal sides of the oven?.. I know the answer has something to do with specific heat capacity but I don't quite know how to explain it in terms of energy transfer etc. :smile:

The thermal diffusivity of air is less than that of the metal oven. Thermal diffusivity is related to specific heat capacity. You can google for the exact equation.
Based on casual observation of kitchen ovens - a lot of the hot air gets out within a second or so of the door being opened and is replaced by cold air due to convection. I think cooling of your skin by evaporation of sweat is probably significant too.
Imo the answer will have more to do with heat transfer processes than the SHC by mass (which is actually relatively close for air and steel iirc) though the densities are very different.

Quick Reply

Latest