The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Fourth year Imperial Medical Student - Ask me things!

Scroll to see replies

I would like to know what the prospects of successful entry for those with little relevant work experience?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by natalia.medicine
I was just wondering what are the demographics like in Imperial? I mean are there some ethnic groups that are more prevalent than others?

For medicine; (year one this year), there are 33% caucasians, 12% asians (chinese, japanese, koreans etc), 50% (indians, Pakistans + etc) and 5% Afro Carribean
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anfanny
I would like to know what the prospects of successful entry for those with little relevant work experience?

What do you mean
Original post by Anfanny
I'm doing costings to see if it's feasible. The prospectus says that the average spend is 11k per year. Would you say that is how much your expenses came to in your first year, 2nd year and so on?
I did well at GCSE, but no A stars (7A's) from your experience will this prevent me getting acceptance to the course?

GCSEs are fine, they don't really pay extra attention to it, it is the AS grades, BMAT grades and the personal statement that are more important in terms of securing an interview.

In terms of the spending, accomodation probably costs a lot more compared to other cities
Original post by DCMed96
For medicine; (year one this year), there are 33% caucasians, 12% asians (chinese, japanese, koreans etc), 50% (indians, Pakistans + etc) and 5% Afro Carribean

Okay, I see. Thank you for the thorough breakdown :smile: Just a small question. Would we include Arabs in that 50% then?
Original post by DCMed96
What do you mean

Sorry, I should have said compared to a lot of applicants I have never had any clinical work experience. Will this reduce my chances of getting in? I'm from Northern Ireland but I have previously lived in London and I have been there a lot of times on my own so I do have other things that may benefit my application for a London based medical school.
Original post by natalia.medicine
Okay, I see. Thank you for the thorough breakdown :smile: Just a small question. Would we include Arabs in that 50% then?

Yep; literally around 50% maybe more. I think it is the same pattern in the previous year.
Original post by Anfanny
Sorry, I should have said compared to a lot of applicants I have never had any clinical work experience. Will this reduce my chances of getting in? I'm from Northern Ireland but I have previously lived in London and I have been there a lot of times on my own so I do have other things that may benefit my application for a London based medical school.

well i would recommend you having some clinical exposure, e.g. shadowing a GP/in a hopsital OR volunteering in care homes/nursing homes OR working with children/disabled people/etc

In terms of shadowing, it doesnt have to be extremely long, one week minimum will do. It is more important that you can reflect on the experience and express it in your personal statement and your interview.
Is it true you can get eduroam in Hyde Park?
Hi. Just wondering how you did on the UKCAT and which other universities you applied to.
Reply 50
Hi there my names nic and I'm a third year sixth form student applying for uni this year, I was just hoping to ask you if you could shine any light on what my best chance of getting into medicine would be, as I'm a resit student I feel I would get rejected by the universities. I'm confident I can get the grades and other aspects of the application process are good enough, but is there any point if my application won't be taken into consideration, many thanks, nic
how hard is it

1 minute ago

Hi any previous batch students know what was the bmat cut off for Imperial for international students? Even though the cut off last year was 4.5 4.5 2.5b, I'm sure, for international students who are competing for those 20 places should be highly competitive. If someone can share the minimum Bmat score of the international student who was invited for interview it will be of great help.
Original post by electra.b
Hi! Do you know if imperial will reject me for sure because i did not pass the cut off for one of the three bmat sections? the thing is i got above the average in the other 2, just did bad in the first one because i was so stressed..i got 4.4 and the cut off was 4.5 damn it! :frown: im feeling very low lately because the i feel that first section in the bmat, literally restricted me so much in terms of where i might get an interview (i put both imperial and ucl)...and its a pity because i felt like my application was pretty strong ?(9A* gcse and 1A and 45 point prediction for the IB).....

I was in the same position as you 4 years ago exactly. I applied to Imperial > UCL (obviously), King's, Leicester and Birmingham as my UKCAT scores weren't that good, but I got 10 or 11 A*s at GCSE and 4 As at AS. I got rejected from King's straight away because of their high UKCAT cut off score and Birmingham and Leicester do MMI which as you may soon find out is the worst invention ever and I did not get the luck of the draw with those and got rejected. Finally, Imperial rejected me for the same reason as you; my section 1 BMAT was 0.1 under the cut-off.

Come summer time, I was on Brighton beach two weeks before results day and I got an email from Imperial saying that they over-offered to the IB students and many did not meet their offer (they get their results before us) and thus there were some free spaces. They invited me, along with about 30 others to interview and as long as you're not a social retard or have a shocker on the day, you make it through (75% success rate at interview). I want to emphasise that I was the highest on the list of those that just missed out on the offer because the average BMAT score was good; it was just section 1 that was narrowly under. Most people I met at that interview waiting room is in my year. This is not uncommon for Imperial as something similar happened to my friend in the year above me.

I want to stress a couple of things: 1) There is still a chance of getting a space later on, just nail your exams at the end of the year and don't give up. 2) Now, I'm one of the top in my year, so don't be disheartened by the selection process, it is luck of the draw and doesn't really reflect future med school performance.

I wish you all the best for your application.
Is further math required for admission to imperial engineering?
Hi! I'm a year 12 student and considering applying to Imperial next year ^^ I've had my heart and mind set on it for quite some time, but I have heard that they push their students too hard, overwork them to the point that they become like "machines" (😕😕). How true would you say this statement is? I honestly think that whichever course you pick will be difficult to some extent (i mean it's University we're talking abt here 😂), and obviously if you're attending a prestigious uni like imperial or oxbridge they're bound to push you to do better. I've wanted to go to imperial for so long, I don't want this to discourage me. So I thought asking someone who actually goes there would be the best choice 😄😄
Do you need to have 4As qualifications to get in? I dropped one so im only going to do 3as exams which i will carry on till a2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

Could you tell me about the end of year exams that you do throughout the Medicine course (summation exams?)... What percentage does each exam count towards your final pass or fail grade (eg in year 1, how much does the grade contribute?). I'm a bit confused how it's all calculated from what is assessed. I know that at the end of the course there is an STJ exam and an EPM that are scored with points and that you are ranked with your whole year. What exams determine your position in your class ranking?

I would also like to ask about how the exams are marked and if any, what type of feedback do you get from them?

This would be a big help! Thanks!
Original post by dochalfwaythere
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in my fourth year of studying Medicine at Imperial. I'm doing a BSc in Neuroscience and Mental Health this year.

I have just applied to be on the interview panel (so I might see some of you at some point!) and I've been browsing the forum, so I thought I would offer to answer any questions you guys have about Imperial, Medicine, uni life in general, intercalating etc. I'll do my very best to answer questions about applications but I can't promise anything as my own application was almost four years ago now!

Hope I can be of some use to you all :biggrin:

Hi, i am very much interested in applying for medicine but i get anxious at the idea of the heavy workload. How would you describe the workload of a medical student?
I don't know why, but i always imagine long, long days and nights of endless studying and keeping up with the course. Is it really like that?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Hey I just wanted to know was there a thing like where someone would apply to Cambridge and then go to Imperial to finish your medicine. I know someone who did their graduation but did medicine and then went on to Imperial to complete it. She started uni in 2012.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending