English Language A
English Literature A
Science B - I got a B last year in core science
Philosophy and Religion - A
Spanish - A
Computing - A
Business Studies - A
Art - A

The options for A levels I think I would like to chose are maths, physics, computing and business studies.

For maths and physics you need a B at GCSE to get into the course and I know I can get them but I have some questions.
Should I do economics instead of physics because a B isn't good enough?
Should I not take maths unless I get an A?
Should I take critical thinking as well - does anyone take it that could tell me what it's like?
Also, are business studies and economics considered as 'weak' subjects?
Thank you for anyone who can help me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsr1807
Hi, I'm currently in my last year of GCSES. My target grades are:
Maths A
English Language A
English Literature A
Science B - I got a B last year in core science
Philosophy and Religion - A
Spanish - A
Computing - A
Business Studies - A
Art - A

The options for A levels I think I would like to chose are maths, physics, computing and business studies.

For maths and physics you need a B at GCSE to get into the course and I know I can get them but I have some questions.
Should I do economics instead of physics because a B isn't good enough?
Should I not take maths unless I get an A?
Should I take critical thinking as well - does anyone take it that could tell me what it's like?
Also, are business studies and economics considered as 'weak' subjects?
Thank you for anyone who can help me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I do both Physics and Maths at A-levels. it's okay to take physics A-level even if you end up with a B grade because many people from my physics class has got a B in their GCSE physics and they still do it. I have to say that physics is similar to maths there are lots of calculations etc. it would help if you take mechanics maths with physics. I think it would be a good idea to take maths if you get an A in GCSE maths, because A-level maths is a huge jump from GCSE maths and is a bit difficult to start with and later you will get the hang of it! Nope, business and economics are not week subjects at all, every subject is difficult and fascinating in it's own way and at A-levels you need to work really hard as we don't have much time. :smile: Good Luck with your GCSE's!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Megan_90
Hi there,

I do both Physics and Maths at A-levels. it's okay to take physics A-level even if you end up with a B grade because many people from my physics class has got a B in their GCSE physics and they still do it. I have to say that physics is similar to maths there are lots of calculations etc. it would help if you take mechanics maths with physics. I think it would be a good idea to take maths if you get an A in GCSE maths, because A-level maths is a huge jump from GCSE maths and is a bit difficult to start with and later you will get the hang of it! Nope, business and economics are not week subjects at all, every subject is difficult and fascinating in it's own way and at A-levels you need to work really hard as we don't have much time. :smile: Good Luck with your GCSE's!!

Thank you :smile: My maths and physics teachers told me they can't stop me from doing physics and maths if I get a B but they don't recommend it :smile: thank you for the help x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsr1807
Thank you :smile: My maths and physics teachers told me they can't stop me from doing physics and maths if I get a B but they don't recommend it :smile: thank you for the help x

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's okay. If you really enjoy these subjects and you are confident that you can do it, choice it. depending on which college or sixth form you go into, some colleges offer that you can change subjects within 2 weeks if you think you can't do it. my college offered that option. Anyway see what you get for your final GCSE's and it will be easier to make a decision.
I took physics on from a B grade and really struggled (got a D overall), but admittedly I was very lazy at the beginning of the year and it probably had a knock-on effect. Really, if you're willing to work hard and iron out issues when they first arise, you may just be okay.

Critical Thinking doesn't take all that much time to prepare for, and is accepted as an extra subject by some universities. You basically deconstruct arguments and point out flaws, and begin to write better arguments in essays.
Hiya,
Physics with a B at GCSE and maths with an A at GCSE will be a bit of a struggle if you aren't prepared to put the work in.
Economics is a more respected a level if it's relevant to what you want to do. Business studies and critical thinking are seen as softer subjects but don't let that put you off it it's what you want to do. :smile:

Quick Reply