OCR Physics Synoptic - Unifying concepts

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What did everybody think of the synoptic paper then?
I thought it was just plain strange, especially the first and last pages
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Me too, although I had expected worse. Didn't like some of q3 though what was that all about?!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I hated every minute of it It even told us that dynamic equilibrium isn't on our syllabus and still asked us questions on it. I will be lucky to get half marks, by the way, does any 1 know how much the following parts are worth?

Practical Exam and Coursework (We did both)
Unifying Concept Nasty Exam

Is the split 60 marks for each? Making a total of 120, or is it 30/90 respectively. If it's 60/60 i might still have an outside chance of getting an A Ta
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Worst exam i can remember for not having a clue about what i was doin. Bout half of it was a blag or a guess. Question one, three and bits of the last didnt make too much sense. Just wanted to laugh at q1 when i saw it it was just a joke, like a pub quiz for physics people. Not impressed, just so random
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
death to unifying concepts
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The unifying concepts paper was really random! the first question picking out the wrong physics!!??! Blagged those a bit. I did badly on the question with the rotating coil. But the momentum question was ok so was the last question on the global warming bit. the equilibrium question hard too!!! Forces Fields and Energy much better!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
FFE was so much nicer thday than it was in Jan. And as for unifying concepts...well that was the most pointless exam ever!!! Whats with the global warming in all the questions? I just put a load of chemistry crap as to why it happens cos they did say use general knowledge. And the ruddy 'Dynamic Equilibrium' isn't on our syllabus so why bother asking questions? Grr...
Benny Cool
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, FFE was lovely. That first question was a beauty. Last essay style question was a little weird - what doesn't affect activity? What, the time of day? The colour?!

Synoptic was weird, and i'm glad most other people found the same. What did you come up with for the equation that obtains a scalar from two vectors? I couldn't think of anything so just wrote down

mass = force x (1/acceleration)

Which is technically correct, but a little fiddled. They should give me the marks though, it's what they asked for!

CAn't wait for telecomms later next week!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
yeah i thoguht of doing the same with the 1\accn...then decided to pick a random eqn to do with electricity.lol!

yeah a very weird paper. the first question...the bit about global warming and the 5 degree temp rise...what did u guys put as the bad physics..... i said the the temp quoted in K should also have been 5 since it was an incrase not a temp on a scale!????

random...all my group found the paper the same as most on here. i have read similar opn other forums so fingers crossed.....i need 130 marks from mod 5(practicle and unifying concepts) & mod 6(cosmology) to gte an A

any one know how much practicle and synoptic are worth?

cheers
physics
Report 16 years ago
For theat q, i got power = force x velocity

The power loss question was well wired,

If magnetic flux density a vector?

I even thought the ffe was a bit strange, not much on fields were this is a big section of syllabus, and loads on radioactivity.

Does anyone do the materials paper on thursday?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I put velocity x displacement = time. That seemed ok in a panic!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Dont wanna piss you off, but wudnt it be:

time = displacement / velocity

I can't laugh coz i know i did so bad, i hope the whole country did as bad as me so it gets moderated

Does any1 know how much the paper is worth is it 60/600 UMS marks?
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whos doin telecomm nxt wek? do u find it hard easy? i find it hard, and really need a gud mark to pull up my other ones, which i found harder than ppl on here who seem to have a cloo! global warmin! i dont understand that! n i didnt find FFE much bette but every1 else did. help! need a B!
x
Benny Cool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I'm doing telecomms. I find some of the stuff quite easy (like modulation, analogue to digital conversion etc), and some of the other stuff that comes up later in the syllabus a bit tricky (optical fibres, satellites etc). However, I think with some revision the exam should be OK - I have a couple of text books and the past papers.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Oops I am such a dunce. I was panicking!!! Oh well never mind.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah it was such a hard exam, and I need Bs on both this and Cosmology, so I'm glad everybody found it hard.

I buggered up the vectors question...though displacement was a scalar and distance a vector! Oops!

You didn't have to actually know about Global Warming, the essay question was just asking you to explain that changes in temperature is gains and losses in the internal energy. Energy that is carried by infra-red waves.

At least I hope so, damn I could've done with more essay questions, cause I didn't know what question 3 was on about most of the time, and the mechanical equilbirum **** threw me too.

Oh well...roll on the 26th!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads