The Student Room Group

Three point turn could be removed from driving tests!

Scroll to see replies

Removing the turn in the road is silly IMO. Its a manoeuvre I've had to do quite a few times since I passed. Reversing around a corner however, I think its a good idea to ditch that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever do one except when learning, and I haven't needed to do it since my test. I think they should change the parallel park, and teach people to get into tighter spaces, as in the real world, you almost never have 2 car lengths free to get into a space!
I think extending the independent driving is a good idea, its actually the part of the test I enjoyed the most, and it does teach you to look out for road signs, which a lot of people seem incapable of doing lol.
I'm not sure how I feel about the satnav idea though, I think that kind of goes against the idea of independent driving, and really isn't much different than examiner telling you where to go, so I don't really see the point of that to be honest :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by contradicta
Personally I think it the easiest manoeuvre.

You guys have it so lucky, here on the Isle of Man we get tested in all three manoeuvres during the test!!!
But we do get to start learning at 16.

All three?

Emergency stop
Turn in the road
Parallel park
Bay park
Left reverse.
Original post by tumshie
Reversing around a corner however, I think its a good idea to ditch that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever do one except when learning, and I haven't needed to do it since my test.

I actually do it every time I drive to turn my car around to park. I turn into a car park rather than a side road and reverse back into the road but the same thing really.
Original post by mackemforever
Disagree with the 3 point turn being taken out.
Disagree with the independent driving no longer being about following road signs.
Completely agree that there should be a section of the test where they have to follow a satnav.

The amount of times I have had people who are blindly following a satnav nearly drive into my car or motorbike is beyond belief. They don't pay any attention to the road around them, just to what the little voice tells them to. The kind of people who would drive into a river if the satnav said so.

This I agree with.

People need the ability to drive with a satnav safely since 99% of people will go buy one instantly upon passing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I guess that's very true, most people nowadays though are trying too hard to follow a satnav and are distracted which in turn creates dangerous driving

satnav within the swept area should equal shred licence and the satnav / device should be put through a chipper ...

they are an aid to navigation not a bloody autopilot !
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
All three?

Emergency stop
Turn in the road
Parallel park
Bay park
Left reverse.

I totally forgot about emergency stop and bay park, my instructor has been focusing on parallel park, left reverse and turn in the road. But yeah we have to do the whole range.
Trust them to get rid of what I think is the easiest and most useful manoeuvre. I don't think I've ever gone out without seeing at least one person do a turn in the road/3 point turn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending