Anyone else fed up of studying? Watch

The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been at Univeristy almost 3 months and I'm already fed up, I just need Christmas break, I'm shattered. I'm studying a pretty intense course, chemistry, and I'm just fed up of work and revision. Since GCSEs my life has just been work and revision and then a summer of doing very little and I'm just fed up of it, I want a real job.
I thought univeraity was gonna prep me for a job but it just seems to be a continuation of alevels just much harder, go to lessons/lectures, come home and try to understand it and then revise for exams over Christmas. I'm not learning life skills, just how to revise.
I feel like I've repeated myself a fair bit here, but just to summarise - Fed up with the jumping through hoops just to get a certificate that says I'm this good. Education has beaten me down to my knees.
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BenLynch9)
I've been at Univeristy almost 3 months and I'm already fed up, I just need Christmas break, I'm shattered. I'm studying a pretty intense course, chemistry, and I'm just fed up of work and revision. Since GCSEs my life has just been work and revision and then a summer of doing very little and I'm just fed up of it, I want a real job.
I thought univeraity was gonna prep me for a job but it just seems to be a continuation of alevels just much harder, go to lessons/lectures, come home and try to understand it and then revise for exams over Christmas. I'm not learning life skills, just how to revise.
I feel like I've repeated myself a fair bit here, but just to summarise - Fed up with the jumping through hoops just to get a certificate that says I'm this good. Education has beaten me down to my knees.
I totally understand what you mean - especially because being a university requires you to have to be pretty independent when it comes to your work. Just think, there's not long left til Christmas holidays and I believe (not sure if it applies to all universities) we finish around May time so you'll have a good few months to relax
selenerrr__x
Badges: 5
Report 4 years ago
I feel exactly the same, in my final year of A2 and honestly, I don't even know if I want to go to uni anymore, just feels like continuous education and then after work and I feel like the only time I'll be able to do what I want and relax is when I retire :P
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
(Original post by Safiya122)
I totally understand what you mean - especially because being a university requires you to have to be pretty independent when it comes to your work. Just think, there's not long left til Christmas holidays and I believe (not sure if it applies to all universities) we finish around May time so you'll have a good few months to relax
True, when I break it down like that it isn't too bad, but I sometimes just think it's 3 more years of this, I can't last that long!
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
(Original post by selenerrr__x)
I feel exactly the same, in my final year of A2 and honestly, I don't even know if I want to go to uni anymore, just feels like continuous education and then after work and I feel like the only time I'll be able to do what I want and relax is when I retire :P
Yep, I feel the exact same, just that I'm at univeristy. 3 more years..
I know it's sad for an 18 year old to think this but I'm looking forward to being retired, you can do what you enjoy with people you truly love. I guess it's life's reward.
SpeedyGonzalez
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lazy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
selenerrr__x
Badges: 5
Report 4 years ago
Yep, I feel the exact same, just that I'm at univeristy. 3 more years..
I know it's sad for an 18 year old to think this but I'm looking forward to being retired, you can do what you enjoy with people you truly love. I guess it's life's reward.
I feel sad that you'd have to retire to be able to do all that because when you're older there's also more problems like health and stuff and you're less able to do all these things that you wanted to do before but couldn't
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpeedyGonzalez)
Lazy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
That probably has something to do with it.
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sulpha)
It's normal to feel that way at this point in the term.

Especially with the cold dark nights and everything appearing bleak, and knowing Christmas is soon..

Second half of the year gets better because the nights get bright and summer comes along.
Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head there, I'me hoping the break will do me good, despite having to revise for January 'tests'
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You think it's bad now. Mate, I'm in final year and the difficulty makes first year look like reception class ...
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
You think it's bad now. Mate, I'm in final year and the difficulty makes first year look like reception class ...
I appreciate that and I'm sure it's true, but that's little comfort to me. Looking back A-levels seem pretty easy, GCSEs literally child's play but at the time i stressed out over both.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True, when I break it down like that it isn't too bad, but I sometimes just think it's 3 more years of this, I can't last that long!
Just remind yourself that your working life could run in excess of 40 years, you will carry the degree with you through that timeframe, it will likely give rise to opportunities that would otherwise not be achievable, that you will become more efficient at studying the more you do and that the entire degree will not be the same as the first few months.

Once you apply some whole of life perspective, and if you can embrace the idea of learning as not a chore but a pleasure, you may view matters in a different light.

Three years is actually not that long it merely seems long relative to your current age. (presumption here on my part) and in respect of your whole life it is a (hopefully) a small part.
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know what you mean I'm in second year and I'm finding it so hard to cope, the increase in workload is so dramatic and I really miss having a social life. I have so many deadlines and it's so discouraging to be doing a coursework assignment that's taking ages and thinking "crap, I have 4 more of these that I haven't started yet". I've already decided I don't want to do a masters because I'm getting a bit sick of academia. All I can do is sympathise and hope you start enjoying it a bit more soon.
anna__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
I know what you mean I'm in second year and I'm finding it so hard to cope, the increase in workload is so dramatic and I really miss having a social life. I have so many deadlines and it's so discouraging to be doing a coursework assignment that's taking ages and thinking "crap, I have 4 more of these that I haven't started yet". I've already decided I don't want to do a masters because I'm getting a bit sick of academia. All I can do is sympathise and hope you start enjoying it a bit more soon.

This. My second year is horrific and it's so hard to admit to. I will agree to some replies in the sense that after Christmas, it gets a bit easier, and I think that's partially because I didn't go out as much and made more effort , but it was too late and my grades still suffered.. eughhh :L this year is horrible and I can't wait for my year abroad next year where I get to do some proper work (I do NOT under any circumstances want to go to uni). I also got diagnosed with dyslexia earlier this year and they're trying to help me through it, but my course is just too hard and nothing that I ever expected. BUT supposedly second year is the hardest of the three.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.01%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.39%

Watched Threads