Is A2 Further Maths required for Statistics, Economics and a language BSc at UCL Watch

FTSE420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would like to pursue an economics related degree. Currently I am planning to take maths ( up to A2), Further maths (up to AS), Geography (up to A2), Economics (up to AS/A2) and Spanish (up to A2). Will studying Further Maths up to AS Level put me at a disadvantage to study for example Statistics, Economics and a language BSc at UCL?
selenerrr__x
Badges: 5
Report 4 years ago
I think further maths will be advantageous because you study the other statistics modules but you should check the UCL entry requirements for the course, I don't think it's compulsory but it would be good
If it's not compulsory, it would only be a disadvantage if it brings down your other subjects unless you can manage your studying time well
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by selenerrr__x)
I think further maths will be advantageous because you study the other statistics modules but you should check the UCL entry requirements for the course, I don't think it's compulsory but it would be good
If it's not compulsory, it would only be a disadvantage if it brings down your other subjects unless you can manage your studying time well
Not helpful.

OP, according to the website you need either an A* in Maths, or AA in Maths + Further Maths, therefore it's not required, but useful if you don't think you will get A* in Maths.
selenerrr__x
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
Not helpful.

OP, according to the website you need either an A* in Maths, or AA in Maths + Further Maths, therefore it's not required, but useful if you don't think you will get A* in Maths.
how is that not helpful?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
how is that not helpful?
OP asked a very specific question about whether it is required, therefore your response should actually answer that.
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
OP asked a very specific question about whether it is required, therefore your response should actually answer that.
how is that not helpful?
So do you think that AS further maths would be sufficient or not?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by djm1999)
Only if you get A* in Maths A2, I think.
selenerrr__x
Report 4 years ago
I think it would depend on how well you work and your time management because if you take AS fm, stats is quite hard if you choose the stats modules and if you spend more time working on those modules you could bring your core maths down and A2 maths is harder then AS. If you don't think you'll get an A* in maths, don't just take AS fm because of that, you might not end up geting AA in maths and fm together necessarily. It's up to you, I personally would take the AS fm though if it was me just because I love maths
Also being specific here to Statistics, Economics and language BSc course only.
They say: A* in Mathematics or AA in Mathematics and Further Mathematics required.
If this means AS + A2 further mathematics (on top of maths) then I wouldn't do further mathematics AS, I'd spend more time trying to get the A* in single maths.
I hope this answer is helpful and specific enough for you.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think further maths will be advantageous because you study the other statistics modules
This is not necessarily true.
It is possible to study Maths & Further maths without doing any statistics.
selenerrr__x
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
This is not necessarily true.
It is possible to study Maths & Further maths without doing any statistics.
Yes I know as I am currently studying Fm without any stats modules but seeing as the example is Statistics, Economics and language, it would be better to have studied the stats side of fm.
FTSE420
Rep:
?
I think it would depend on how well you work and your time management because if you take AS fm, stats is quite hard and if you spend more time working on those modules you could bring your core maths down and A2 maths is harder then AS. If you don't think you'll get an A* in maths, don't just take AS fm because of that, you might not end up geting AA in maths and fm together necessarily. It's up to you, I personally would take the AS fm though if it was me just because I love maths
Also being specific here to Statistics, Economics and language BSc course only.
They say: A* in Mathematics or AA in Mathematics and Further Mathematics required.
If this means AS + A2 further mathematics (on top on maths) then I wouldn't do further mathematics AS, I'd spend more time trying to get the A* in single maths.
I hope this answer is helpful and specific enough for you.
The school I am hoping to go to will allow me to sit AS FM in Upper Sixth, which will make it much easier for me as I would have already completed C1 and C2 plus M1 and S1, if that makes a difference...? Also I am practically fluent in Spanish so Spanish will be much easier for me
selenerrr__x
Report 4 years ago
The school I am hoping to go to will allow me to sit AS FM in Upper Sixth, which will make it much easier for me as I would have already completed C1 and C2 plus M1 and S1, if that makes a difference...?
If they let you sit AS fm that will be good but for the Economics, Statistics and language course if you don't get an A* in single maths, then you'll need AS and A2 further maths, the AS fm wouldn't matter that much without the A2 fm.
I'd focus on getting the A*
Completing C1,C2,M1,S1 would be good as you could concentrate on C3 and C4 in U6 but that also depends on what grades you get for the modules in AS. You'd want to complete the first 4 without having to do any retakes and for an A* I'm told by my teachers at several schools that you will need to average 90% in C3 and C4 but this may not be a fact, this is just what I have been told by 3 teachers from 2 different schools.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would like to pursue an economics related degree. Currently I am planning to take maths ( up to A2), Further maths (up to AS), Geography (up to A2), Economics (up to AS/A2) and Spanish (up to A2). Will studying Further Maths up to AS Level put me at a disadvantage to study for example Statistics, Economics and a language BSc at UCL?
Some strange answers here.

You should be taking as much maths as possible because it will comprimise 2/3s of your course.

Take as many statistics options as possible too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed