Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on AQA B for English Literature and we are doing our coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest. My question is:
    “Really if the lower orders don’t set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them? They seem, as a class, to have absolutely no sense of moral responsibility.”
    To what extent do you agree that the majority of the humour in The Importance of Being Earnest is created by Wilde’s mockery of the British upper classes?
    I'm trying to get an A however I do not really understand how to do that and how to set it out. Can anyone give me a few tips to try and get an A?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my English Coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest too! But my question is different and our deadline is Monday (finally!). English is probably my worst subject but I can try and help! In your introduction, your line of argument needs to be stated clearly (and this needs to be consistent throughout your essay.) Your first paragraph could be one point about why you agree, so something about how the fact that majority of the characters are simply comic caricatures which Wilde uses to satirise the British aristocracy of the Victorian era, therefore the majority of the humour is created by mockery? Then your second paragraph (I think) could be a counter argument and you could say that some people might argue that the majority of the humour is created by Wilde's language/stage directions - the cigarette case scene in Act 1 with Jack and Algernon? The third paragraph needs to say that 'yes but the majority of the humour in the play comes from Wilde's mockery because...' I can't think of any more points currently! Your introduction and your conclusion reiterate each other, your line of argument needs to be sustained and their needs to be language analysis; good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manoornadim)
    I'm doing my English Coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest too! But my question is different and our deadline is Monday (finally!). English is probably my worst subject but I can try and help! In your introduction, your line of argument needs to be stated clearly (and this needs to be consistent throughout your essay.) Your first paragraph could be one point about why you agree, so something about how the fact that majority of the characters are simply comic caricatures which Wilde uses to satirise the British aristocracy of the Victorian era, therefore the majority of the humour is created by mockery? Then your second paragraph (I think) could be a counter argument and you could say that some people might argue that the majority of the humour is created by Wilde's language/stage directions - the cigarette case scene in Act 1 with Jack and Algernon? The third paragraph needs to say that 'yes but the majority of the humour in the play comes from Wilde's mockery because...' I can't think of any more points currently! Your introduction and your conclusion reiterate each other, your line of argument needs to be sustained and their needs to be language analysis; good luck!
    Thank you! That really helps! Good luck with yours too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my coursework too, but on Twelfth Night. Shakespeare is so hard
    Mines due on Wednesday & my teacher has given us so many resources to help yet I STILL don't know what to do lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBftw)
    I'm doing my coursework too, but on Twelfth Night. Shakespeare is so hard
    Mines due on Wednesday & my teacher has given us so many resources to help yet I STILL don't know what to do lol

OK, so what's your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadesofgrey)
    OK, so what's your question?
    Disguise: a wickedness or a light hearted comic convention. How do you evaluate the use of disguise in 'Twelfth Night'?

ReputationRep:
    OK. Well, that's your question, so just go ahead and answer it. Is it the question you don't understand or the play or what? Trouble is it sounds like you need someone to walk you through the play and to relate it to the question. That's more than we can do here. Try this site if you need someone to do that. Just ask. They helped me through some major assignments which was struggling thru in my last year of English. You'll probably have to pay for one credit, but it is not much. But it does sound like you want more than just a few hints...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBftw)
    Disguise: a wickedness or a light hearted comic convention. How do you evaluate the use of disguise in 'Twelfth Night'?
    OK. Well, that's your question, so just go ahead and answer it.

Is it the question you don't understand or the play or what? Trouble is it sounds like you need someone to walk you through the play and to relate it to the question. That's more than we can do here. Try this site if you need someone to do that. Just ask. They helped me through most of my major assignments in my last year of IB. You'll probably have to pay for one credit, but it is not much. But it does sound like you want more than just a few hints, ...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I've finished that essay loooooool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBftw)
    Thanks for the advice, I've finished that essay loooooool

Well, OK! So then just keep that site in mind if you need more than hints and nudges here. It helped me tons see ya then!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2014

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.