VickyIsabelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm on AQA B for English Literature and we are doing our coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest. My question is:
“Really if the lower orders don’t set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them? They seem, as a class, to have absolutely no sense of moral responsibility.”
To what extent do you agree that the majority of the humour in The Importance of Being Earnest is created by Wilde’s mockery of the British upper classes?
I'm trying to get an A however I do not really understand how to do that and how to set it out. Can anyone give me a few tips to try and get an A?
Thanks.
manoornadim
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing my English Coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest too! But my question is different and our deadline is Monday (finally!). English is probably my worst subject but I can try and help! In your introduction, your line of argument needs to be stated clearly (and this needs to be consistent throughout your essay.) Your first paragraph could be one point about why you agree, so something about how the fact that majority of the characters are simply comic caricatures which Wilde uses to satirise the British aristocracy of the Victorian era, therefore the majority of the humour is created by mockery? Then your second paragraph (I think) could be a counter argument and you could say that some people might argue that the majority of the humour is created by Wilde's language/stage directions - the cigarette case scene in Act 1 with Jack and Algernon? The third paragraph needs to say that 'yes but the majority of the humour in the play comes from Wilde's mockery because...' I can't think of any more points currently! Your introduction and your conclusion reiterate each other, your line of argument needs to be sustained and their needs to be language analysis; good luck!
VickyIsabelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by manoornadim)
I'm doing my English Coursework on The Importance of Being Earnest too! But my question is different and our deadline is Monday (finally!). English is probably my worst subject but I can try and help! In your introduction, your line of argument needs to be stated clearly (and this needs to be consistent throughout your essay.) Your first paragraph could be one point about why you agree, so something about how the fact that majority of the characters are simply comic caricatures which Wilde uses to satirise the British aristocracy of the Victorian era, therefore the majority of the humour is created by mockery? Then your second paragraph (I think) could be a counter argument and you could say that some people might argue that the majority of the humour is created by Wilde's language/stage directions - the cigarette case scene in Act 1 with Jack and Algernon? The third paragraph needs to say that 'yes but the majority of the humour in the play comes from Wilde's mockery because...' I can't think of any more points currently! Your introduction and your conclusion reiterate each other, your line of argument needs to be sustained and their needs to be language analysis; good luck!
Thank you! That really helps! Good luck with yours too

Posted from TSR Mobile
CBftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing my coursework too, but on Twelfth Night. Shakespeare is so hard
Mines due on Wednesday & my teacher has given us so many resources to help yet I STILL don't know what to do lol
Shadesofgrey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CBftw)
I'm doing my coursework too, but on Twelfth Night. Shakespeare is so hard
Mines due on Wednesday & my teacher has given us so many resources to help yet I STILL don't know what to do lol

OK, so what's your question?
CBftw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shadesofgrey)
OK, so what's your question?
Disguise: a wickedness or a light hearted comic convention. How do you evaluate the use of disguise in 'Twelfth Night'?
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OK. Well, that's your question, so just go ahead and answer it. Is it the question you don't understand or the play or what? Trouble is it sounds like you need someone to walk you through the play and to relate it to the question. That's more than we can do here. Try this site if you need someone to do that. Just ask. They helped me through some major assignments which was struggling thru in my last year of English. You'll probably have to pay for one credit, but it is not much. But it does sound like you want more than just a few hints...
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CBftw)
Disguise: a wickedness or a light hearted comic convention. How do you evaluate the use of disguise in 'Twelfth Night'?
OK. Well, that's your question, so just go ahead and answer it.

Is it the question you don't understand or the play or what? Trouble is it sounds like you need someone to walk you through the play and to relate it to the question. That's more than we can do here. Try this site if you need someone to do that. Just ask. They helped me through most of my major assignments in my last year of IB. You'll probably have to pay for one credit, but it is not much. But it does sound like you want more than just a few hints, ...
CBftw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I've finished that essay loooooool
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CBftw)
Thanks for the advice, I've finished that essay loooooool

Well, OK! So then just keep that site in mind if you need more than hints and nudges here. It helped me tons see ya then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
8.82%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (7)
10.29%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
22.06%
No and I wouldn't consider it (40)
58.82%

Watched Threads