The Student Room Group

Combined honours = lower postgraduate chances?

Hey guys, im hoping to apply to Exeter, St andrews and Leeds this year to study philosophy and biology/biology and the history and philosophy of science. My question was, in the event of me wanting to do an MSc in a further biological field (neuroscience being my ideal choice) does the mixed nature of my degree (assuming also that I will have relevant work experience by the time apply for the MSc) hold me back in being accepted onto courses?
Reply 1
Original post by moomoobrowncow
Hey guys, im hoping to apply to Exeter, St andrews and Leeds this year to study philosophy and biology/biology and the history and philosophy of science. My question was, in the event of me wanting to do an MSc in a further biological field (neuroscience being my ideal choice) does the mixed nature of my degree (assuming also that I will have relevant work experience by the time apply for the MSc) hold me back in being accepted onto courses?

No it won't. The variety isn't too wide, it's mainly science based. But since you're applying for a MSc separately and not straight from ucas course for a BSc and MSc in one go, it'll take longer for you to complete all the degrees. As long as you work hard and get the grades required to apply for the MSc, you'll get in. Just do your best. Work experience at hospitals, zoos, research labs etc are good
Original post by moomoobrowncow

Yes, it almost certainly will. If your joint subjects don't have a significant overlap (and philosophy and biology don't) then when it comes to doing a postgrad in one or other of them, you will only have completed roughly half the syllabus of someone who had done a single honours.

If the joint subjects have a strong overlap, eg maths and physics, or biology and chemistry, then it doesn't matter as much, or if the Masters degree sits in between the two subjects eg Philosophy and Biology followed by the Philosophy of Science, then again it doesn't matter.

But Philosophy and Biology to Neuroscience is unlikely to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending