ib or a levels and career path help Watch

luvlieliza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
My school offers both a levels and the ib but only some courses are available for a level. I would not be able to study the subjects I would like to do at a level at my school so would have to do the ib. In the future I would like to do something with clinical psychology possibly although this is not recommended or with advertisement and fine art.
This is what I would do at ib: French sl, maths sl, biology sl, art hl, psychology hl and English hl
For a levels I would do French, art, biology and psychology/ english
I would have to move schools for a levels which isn't a problem but with the ib I am worried that my higher level options will restrict where I can get into university although it does give me a broader range
Please help!
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by luvlieliza)
Hi,
My school offers both a levels and the ib but only some courses are available for a level. I would not be able to study the subjects I would like to do at a level at my school so would have to do the ib. In the future I would like to do something with clinical psychology possibly although this is not recommended or with advertisement and fine art.
This is what I would do at ib: French sl, maths sl, biology sl, art hl, psychology hl and English hl
I would have to move schools for a levels which isn't a problem but with the ib I am worried that my higher level options will restrict where I can get into university although it does give me a broader range
Please help!
It's best to do alevels. The subjects you chose for ib are also available in alevels. I would say only do IB if you're planning to apply for uni degrees abroad. Most people who do IBs change and then change to do alevels, they prefer the alevels, context and teaching wise. Alevels allows you to keep more doors opens and it's generally more accepted by unis than IBs. For psychology at uni with another subject, I would recommend you to do psychology alevel, and possibly biology maths and chemistry but it's optional. You can choose 4 or 5 subjects for alevels.
luvlieliza
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadys10)
It's best to do alevels. The subjects you chose for ib are also available in alevels. I would say only do IB if you're planning to apply for uni degrees abroad. Most people who do IBs change and then change to do alevels, they prefer the alevels, context and teaching wise. Alevels allows you to keep more doors opens and it's generally more accepted by unis than IBs. For psychology at uni with another subject, I would recommend you to do psychology alevel, and possibly biology maths and chemistry but it's optional. You can choose 4 or 5 subjects for alevels.
Thanks so much for the advise, I've decided a levels is the way to go for me thanks so much!
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks so much for the advise, I've decided a levels is the way to go for me thanks so much!
You're welcome, I'm glad to help. It's good that it was helpful good luck with your studies
Snufkin
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jadys10)
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, this is all wrong. I'm willing to bet you have no evidence to support your claim that 'most people' switch from the IB to A levels. A levels do not keep more doors open and it is absolutely not accepted that universities in the UK prefer applicants with A levels over those with the IB, in fact many universities have gone on record saying they prefer the IB. Why are you advising the OP on something you know nothing about?
506rl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
Please help!
Hi! I study the IB and am applying to do Psychology at uni next year; I have already got two offers in less than two weeks, despite me studying art at HL, so honestly as long as your grades are good it shouldn't matter if you carry on with art.

However, it might be important for you to know that Psychology courses at university often ask for (I haven't seen any not asking for) a HL science. So you might want to consider that?

In my opinion, Psychology as a subject is good for someone with a broad range of knowledge (english = essay writing/analysis, maths = statistics, biology = scientific method, language/humanities = understanding of people, etc), so although I am a little biased, I think for Psychology, IB is better. Infact, it actually prepares you better for university, and many have said that because of the IB they find uni actually quite easy. Plus, CAS will mean you have volunteer hours and ToK means you have critical thinking skills, so honestly overall IB is better, but harder.

Good luck choosing!
luvlieliza
Rep:
?
(Original post by 506rl)
Hi! I study the IB and am applying to do Psychology at uni next year; I have already got two offers in less than two weeks, despite me studying art at HL, so honestly as long as your grades are good it shouldn't matter if you carry on with art.

However, it might be important for you to know that Psychology courses at university often ask for (I haven't seen any not asking for) a HL science. So you might want to consider that?

In my opinion, Psychology as a subject is good for someone with a broad range of knowledge (english = essay writing/analysis, maths = statistics, biology = scientific method, language/humanities = understanding of people, etc), so although I am a little biased, I think for Psychology, IB is better. Infact, it actually prepares you better for university, and many have said that because of the IB they find uni actually quite easy. Plus, CAS will mean you have volunteer hours and ToK means you have critical thinking skills, so honestly overall IB is better, but harder.

Good luck choosing!
Thank you so much for the advice! If I have any more questions would it be okay to ask you? Thanks so much that really really helps it has made things so much clearer for me
506rl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much for the advice! If I have any more questions would it be okay to ask you? Thanks so much that really really helps it has made things so much clearer for me
You're welcome! And yep, you can ask me any questions you like and I will try my best to answer them as well as I can
username1545603
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Beware... the beauty of the internet is that it opens up thousands of viewpoints... the danger of the internet is that it opens up thousands of viewpoints...

To answer your question, it depends on where you wish to study Psychology... for example if you want to go to a top university (eg Oxbridge) you would do well to do A Level or HL IB in Maths and Biology... it may even be appropriate to drop Psychology A level/IB if taking this route... best to go to the universities websites that you are thinking of applying for... you will find the info you need, beware of taking any advice on the internet... by all means ask and read answers but best to check out with the uni

As for A level of IB, both are highly regarded at all unis... you'll probably need 40+ points (776) on the IB... A level offers for Psych and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge are still A*AA (recently changed to A*A*A for sciences) but that is not what will get you in (as many mistakenly believe) it is the standard offer (sometimes made after a higher result is achieved)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise