The Student Room Group

Are good degrees from bad universities worthless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
X

Original post by kayleighisonfire
X

Ex-polys unite! :yep:

-----------
TSR really are scraping the barrel with threads like these recently...
Original post by Anonymous #2

-----------

Yay! Which uni are you at?

-----------

*assembles together like the transformers* (.... or is it power rangers?...)

Yup, these threads are quite an enduring feature of TSR
Original post by DiddyDec
No, this forum is filled with Oxbridge snobs who don't think that any university is worth going to unless it is oxbridge.

I haven't ever seen such people, but I hear a lot of people talking about them. I think it's just a myth.
Yay! Which uni are you at?

UCLan in Preston :smile: I don't even think anybody on TSR has heard of it :lol:

*assembles together like the transformers* (.... or is it power rangers?...)

Yup, these threads are quite an enduring feature of TSR

Either way we will assemble together!

You've got to laugh though :lol:
UCLan in Preston :smile: I don't even think anybody on TSR has heard of it :lol:

People in their own little world :tongue:

Yeah they probably haven't. I considered applying there :smile:
Reply 47
It is harder to get a good degree from a **** uni. If you look at their stats, maybe 40-50% get 2.1 or above but this is 80-90% in a prestigious university. But certainly a 1.1 from a **** uni is not worthless because you have worked for for it. But a 2.1 from London Met. is not as valuable as a 2.1 from UCL ( very obviously). However, employers WILL respect that.
Original post by jamesb22
Hi, just signed up to this forum after browsing it for some time now.

My question is: is having a well-regarded degree from a not so well-regarded university worthless? For example, a First Class Law degree from Middlesex or a First in Medicine from Plymouth. The impression I get from this forum is that such people have degrees 'not worth the paper they are written on'.

Would you all agree with this?

No I don't agree with it. My husband graduated from a supposed inferior uni with a first class degree and he got the second job he applied to, beating those who went to Oxbridge but lesser grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People in their own little world :tongue:

Yep, some of them are completely deluded. You've got to feel sorry for them really :tongue:
Yeah they probably haven't. I considered applying there :smile:

It's alright, I came through clearing so wasn't sure what to expect but it's been fine so far :smile:
Yep, some of them are completely deluded. You've got to feel sorry for them really :tongue:

It's alright, I came through clearing so wasn't sure what to expect but it's been fine so far :smile:

Be very awkward if they hold these opinions and their prospective employer turns out to have gone to a non-RG uni at some point!

Aww good :h:

-----------

*waves*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be very awkward if they hold these opinions and their prospective employer turns out to have gone to a non-RG uni at some point!

I know, it's a bit awkward for everybody involved really.

:hi:
Original post by jamesb22
Do you go to Oxbridge? Would you reject a potential boyfriend if they went to Leeds Met for example?

Been there, done that.
If London met opened a medial school it certainly wouldn't be worthless
Original post by Zuki
I have a friend who graduated this year from London Met with a first in his degree, something business related. Has been looking for jobs since. Though, he has had interviews but never made it passed that.

:frown:
Edinbourgh explicitly says that, for postgrad courses, they don't consider all degree classifications from all unis equal (i.e. a 1st from Durham vs a 2.1 from Manchester Met).
Original post by Alltimesarah
If London met opened a medial school it certainly wouldn't be worthless

Question is, would London Met be allowed to open a medical school? :redface:
Original post by Juichiro
Question is, would London Met be allowed to open a medical school? :redface:

Realistically no ahaa but then again I don't know how schools open anyway

Quick Reply

Latest