Fine art interview Watch

Kirstyy56
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have an interview for fine art at both Nottingham Trent and Lincoln University. Could anyone tell me what to expect, what to wear, how long I will be there, questions I'll be asked etc?
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kirstyy56)
I have an interview for fine art at both Nottingham Trent and Lincoln University. Could anyone tell me what to expect, what to wear, how long I will be there, questions I'll be asked etc?
Wearing comfortable but sensible clothes. It doesn't have to be smart smart clothes, just nothing ridiculous like short skirts and bright colours (like neon). I know some people in my class were asked to bring their portfolios with them and talk about the art work, themes they've been exploring, why they're choosing to do art, what do you hope to accomplish, mediums you've worked with and your experiences with it, recent artworks and gallary visits and your opinions of them... It really varies depending who interviews you. Good luck. Just stay calm and be yourself
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadys10)
Wearing comfortable but sensible clothes. It doesn't have to be smart smart clothes, just nothing ridiculous like short skirts and bright colours (like neon). I know some people in my class were asked to bring their portfolios with them and talk about the art work, themes they've been exploring, why they're choosing to do art, what do you hope to accomplish, mediums you've worked with and your experiences with it, recent artworks and gallary visits and your opinions of them... It really varies depending who interviews you. Good luck. Just stay calm and be yourself
Thanks. I have been to art galleries in February with school if that is relevant. I have a portfolio done and I guess u have to talk about artists, inspirations and materials. I wondered what sort of stuff they would ask. I am thinking of wearing black trousers and maybe smart shoes and like casual top and cardigans?
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nemo182)
Hi,
I'm having a bit of a portfolio dilemma so was wondering if you could tell me what size you are taking? I'm really short so struggle with an A1 size but if I buy A2 I might have to fold a couple of sheets. I hear its best to take A1 though. ������
Personally I have an A1 with plastic sheets in. Cut your work up and mount it up onto A1 black paper making sure all the gaps are equal does it make sense?
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
I know how u feel are u getting any support? Is your portfolio done? Where are ur interviews for? Good Luck!
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
Yeah, it does. Thanks for your help. I'm panicking because I've got interviews next week and I only applied a week ago. Thought they'd be much later than this. ������
Good luck. Have u done your portfolio yet? Where are ur interviews? I'm in exactly the same thing as u
Nemo182
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck. Have u done your portfolio yet? Where are ur interviews? I'm in exactly the same thing as u
Thank you. you too.
No not yet. I thought I had loads of time until interviews began so was just planning on doing it slowly. But now I've got to rush it
I've got an interview at derby uni first which is the one I'm most worried about. Apart from the fact that theyll be judging my art i also don't know how to get there :/ and leeds uni the week after.

What about you?
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
Thank you. you too.
No not yet. I thought I had loads of time until interviews began so was just planning on doing it slowly. But now I've got to rush it
I've got an interview at derby uni first which is the one I'm most worried about. Apart from the fact that theyll be judging my art i also don't know how to get there :/ and leeds uni the week after.

What about you?
Have u looked at trains? Checked the uni website as there may be guidance on how to get there and also what they want in your portfolio which may help ur teachers to support you. I have Nottingham trent soon and Lincoln the week after
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
Yeah, I'm fine with getting there but it's getting from the station to the uni that's the problem. I have a tendency to get lost a lot.
Cool. I wish you the best of luck. Have you sorted your portfolio? How long did it take?
My portfolio is done apart from simple name labels etc. It took a good couple of weeks doing a couple of hours every night after school. Do ur teachers help u. I'm sure if u research it ull find where to go. Where are ur five choices?
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
Well I thought my art teacher would, as she teaches me the subject but is also my form tutor, but so far I haven't really gotten much help. I guess she's assumed I'll be able to or will do it on my own since I am quite independent in class. I told her last week when i found out that i had interviews but all i really got was a great and no mentioning of portfolios. But I'm gonna make her look through it this week once I've got it close to finish. I've already got an idea of what I'm going to put in it.

I've applied at leeds twice, derby, Newcastle and slade. Where else did you apply?
I have and sm getting alot of support with the portfolio and even getting the chance for mock interviews! I've applied for Nottingham trent, university of Lincoln, norwhich uni of arts, Leeds college of art, York
eei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most places ask for white support and no sleeves, so I'd advise to disregard the comment above. Keep it simple and keep the weight down.
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
They can disregard the comment if they want. But I have been told my various subjects who got in to unis and my several tutors who have passed into unis themselves and who have helped hundreds of students to use sleeves and black paper
eei
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree that some pieces look so much better on black mounting boards for example only it's a wise move to check the exact requirements on the admissions website. Some places might disregard your portfolio altogether. Same for the sleeves, because they make the portfolio very heavy (Slade will send you packing, I'm afraid), but I'm sure it's fine for a designer, especially when the portfolio is smaller than A1. Generally it's better to keep it simple - with loose pages you can just slide them to the side and compare (development sheets and the final piece for example).
I don't want to sound contrary, but it would be a shame if someone was rejected only because of the way they put their portfolio together and with high competitiveness colleges have to start the selection somewhere, so the rule of the tumb is - stick everything on white A1 cartridge, photograph the bigger pieces and 3D and print A3 copies.
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
(Original post by eei)
I agree that some pieces look so much better on black mounting boards for example only it's a wise move to check the exact requirements on the admissions website. Some places might disregard your portfolio altogether. Same for the sleeves, because they make the portfolio very heavy (Slade will send you packing, I'm afraid), but I'm sure it's fine for a designer, especially when the portfolio is smaller than A1. Generally it's better to keep it simple - with loose pages you can just slide them to the side and compare (development sheets and the final piece for example).
I don't want to sound contrary, but it would be a shame if someone was rejected only because of the way they put their portfolio together and with high competitiveness colleges have to start the selection somewhere, so the rule of the tumb is - stick everything on white A1 cartridge, photograph the bigger pieces and 3D and print A3 copies.
I agree with the photographs part. I think you could do it like that but I've been told black usual paper and sleeves. Maybe don't do this though for slade
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
White backing is the standard advice.
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
White backing is the standard advice.
Do u have any advice on what they would ask etc?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do u have any advice on what they would ask etc?
For many places, it's not really an interview, just a portfolio drop off and an opportunity for a tour of the premises while they look at your stuff. These are often done in groups, not individually. The questions in the interviews I've heard about haven't been particularly difficult - they are just giving you the chance to explain your work and influences.
Kirstyy56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
For many places, it's not really an interview, just a portfolio drop off and an opportunity for a tour of the premises while they look at your stuff. These are often done in groups, not individually. The questions in the interviews I've heard about haven't been particularly difficult - they are just giving you the chance to explain your work and influences.
Thanks I had one interview today. But was just wondering as unis can be different
eei
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Like I said, best thing is to check the relevant websites for advice. Some places don't ask for anything specific, just to show the progress of work (or variety, but some places don't care about life drawings, other do, so it's a pain).

It's better to prepare one portfolio which will match most of the expectations than making things up on the go
I've spent some time working out what is needed, but I'm none the wiser to be honest. So far I winged it, but those were vocational courses and foundation. Had some advice from the tutors who send folks to UAL, Westminster, Glasgow, Falmouth and Brighton every year and they always insist on simple loose pages A1 standard. Some people might have small sleeved portfolios, because it fits the size of their work (fashion and graphic designers, photographers), but also you're often forced to make A1 development sheets for the projects on cartridge, so it's good idea to keep the whole portfolio in one flow, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, good luck everybody with your interviews.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks I had one interview today. But was just wondering as unis can be different
That is very true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads