Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started making notes from my text book and did them in certain colours and made them look all pretty. I spent a lot of time on it, but when I had finished, I realized I still had a lot of topics to make notes on and that it was really time consuming. Is making notes essential (to subjects like law, history etc) or can reading from a text book and doing past papers be good too? I just don't feel like I have the time to do notes or that I retain much information from doing them either. What are other good revision techniques?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Im the same. im trying to catch up on them but still debating if they are actually useful

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what kind of learner you are. If you're a visual or kinesthetic learner, I'd say pretty notes are beneficial, because you spend more time doing them and they look nicer.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with using different colours in your notes, just don't spend ages making them all neat and perfect. As long as your notes are legible, then they will help you learn - don't waste time on something that has little benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectmix)
    I started making notes from my text book and did them in certain colours and made them look all pretty. I spent a lot of time on it, but when I had finished, I realized I still had a lot of topics to make notes on and that it was really time consuming. Is making notes essential (to subjects like law, history etc) or can reading from a text book and doing past papers be good too? I just don't feel like I have the time to do notes or that I retain much information from doing them either. What are other good revision techniques?
    Well...making pretty notes will help you revise better and understand things better too.

Edit: You do not have to do pretty notes but the notes that you will understand and be able to revise from.

ReputationRep:
    Everything in moderation. If highlighting etc makes you enjoy reading through your notes or mindmaps better, then go for it - just don't spend so much time making notes pretty that you don't finish writing up the notes you should have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Making notes is essential, making pretty notes isn't.
    I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectmix)
    I know somebody who made loads of colourful notes (they had a pack of about 24 different colours) and would write everything out neatly. It was very time consuming and I remember instances where they'd actually do that instead of the work they were supposed to be doing. In short it took them an extra year to finish their A-Levels and they still didn't get the best grades (even though they had the potential).

I never made nice fancy notes... Maybe on flash cards and colour coded topics but nothing overly time consuming and I did quite well for myself and I go to the university that I had had my eye on for a while.

I'll let you think about that.

ReputationRep:
    If the notes are REALLY PRETTY, then they're easier to review without recreating later.

I remake notes four/five times, as this is how I prefer to learn. As such, I write them all in a somewhat confusing shorthand. I have a friend who makes notes once and reviews the same set of notes over the year. Their notes are so nice I tear up a little.

It's all about what is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Making notes is essential, making pretty notes isn't.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    The aesthetics of the notes is not important. You want the have your notes as condensed as possible but not missing anything. You need to sift through the useless information. I've got an entire semesters notes on relativity on 2 sides of a4

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.