Advanced higher chem/bio investigations Watch

Orla M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently studying AH Chem and AH Biol and it has come to the time where we begin to think about our investigations.

I want to become a dietician and my teachers suggested basing my investigations around this but I am struggling for ideas? How can I relate my investigations to food and/or diet?

Any ideas for either bio or chem would be greatly appreciated!
Obviously I cant do the same investigation in both subjects as easy as it would be ha ha!

Thanks.

jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Orla M)
I'm currently studying AH Chem and AH Biol and it has come to the time where we begin to think about our investigations.

I want to become a dietician and my teachers suggested basing my investigations around this but I am struggling for ideas? How can I relate my investigations to food and/or diet?

Any ideas for either bio or chem would be greatly appreciated!
Obviously I cant do the same investigation in both subjects as easy as it would be ha ha!

Thanks.

For bio investigate the breakdown of food and absorption of sugar into the blood stream, like does varying different types of food vary the amount of sugar in the blood, with the same volume of food ingested.

For chem, look at the effects of drugs, maybe investigate diet pills, or importance of a certain chemical for good health, like vit d or vit c for example
Orla M
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadys10)
For bio investigate the breakdown of food and absorption of sugar into the blood stream, like does varying different types of food vary the amount of sugar in the blood, with the same volume of food ingested.

For chem, look at the effects of drugs, maybe investigate diet pills, or importance of a certain chemical for good health, like vit d or vit c for example
Hi,

Thanks for the ideas!
I like the biology one but will need to speak to my teacher about it and the practicality of it and if I'll be able to do it.

In terms of the Chemistry one, I would need to see what it is about diet pills that I would investigate.

Thanks!
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whatever you do, dont do wine for chemistry. Its ****ing ****.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jadys10)

How would you test blood sugar? probably fine to do on yourself (you can get those things diabetics have) but will probably need a bigger study population
Orla M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asklepios)
How would you test blood sugar? probably fine to do on yourself (you can get those things diabetics have) but will probably need a bigger study population
Hi,

I thought the same thing... Was unsure how I would go about testing it but it might be hard to gather a lot of people to do the experiment!
Orla M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pennyarcade)
Whatever you do, dont do wine for chemistry. Its ****ing ****.
Hahha I wasn't planning on it 😝
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Orla M)
Hi,

I thought the same thing... Was unsure how I would go about testing it but it might be hard to gather a lot of people to do the experiment!
Don't think your school will let you go sticking needles in other people

For biology, essentially you can choose between a lab-based or field-based project.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads