If we developed a drug that stopped violence Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Would you support the Government forcing people to take it?

*Just assume that the drug stops people carrying out violence.
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I mean sometimes violence takes place for the right reasons, such as in terms of the British Army but I understand what you mean. I'm a bit on yes and a bit on no..
Dr Pesto
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely not, that would be one of the most fascist, authoritarian things they could possibly do and I'd fight it. Reminds me a bit of the film Serenity.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nah - that seems inevitably dystopian
if they can force something like that on you they'll probably take the logic further in other ways
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
nah - that seems inevitably dystopian
if they can force something like that on you they'll probably take the logic further in other ways
But, then, is it not dystopian if they were to take away a drug from you that made you MORE violent (think they have already done this with some "legal highs")? Why is it fine to do this, but not fine to make you take one which prevents violence?
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
But, then, is it not dystopian if they were to take away a drug from you that made you MORE violent (think they have already done this with some "legal highs")? Why is it fine to do this, but not fine to make you take one which prevents violence?
if there was a drug that made people more peaceful, surely they'd give it specifically to the people in society that needed it e.g. thuggish people, as opposed to *everybody*? surely the deterrence of jail time/fines are enough? if they're not enough and times *really* have changed that the police cannot do their job so drugging a nation seems more attractive/efficient for talking violent crime, I'd say we're screwed, but we don't live in that kind of society right now; perhaps if everybody in our country was a violent sociopath it might sound a lot more necessary, but then surely the government would be full of them too and thus there'd be a problem of the existence of a government in that case
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
if there was a drug that made people more peaceful, surely they'd give it specifically to the people in society that needed it e.g. thuggish people, as opposed to *everybody*? surely the deterrence of jail time/fines are enough? if they're not enough and times *really* have changed that the police cannot do their job so drugging a nation seems more attractive/efficient for talking violent crime, I'd say we don't live in that kind of society right now; perhaps if everybody in our country was a violent sociopath it might sound a lot more necessary, but then surely the government would be full of them too and thus there'd be a problem of the existence of a government in that case
Would you object to taking such a drug? I am not violent, and if it had no side effects and just let me get on with my life, I would see no problem in taking it. In fact, I would be glad that if I ever got in such a passionate rage that I may be violent, it would stop me.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would you object to taking such a drug? I am not violent, and if it had no side effects and just let me get on with my life, I would see no problem in taking it. In fact, I would be glad that if I ever got in such a passionate rage that I may be violent, it would stop me.
let me guess - me saying yes to it voluntarily means that a government is legitimate in *forcing* me to say yes? surely the contract between citizen and state should involve as little coercion as possible? is this drug absolutely crucial in taking care of violent crime, for example? then why is every citizen being *forced* to take it? the happiness one gets from it is irrelevant - coercion isn't necessarily unhappiness, it is a principle which is that the state is a master to the citizen, and that the state knows better for the citizen that they do themselves over their own life, which I think is patronising and negative
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

No, have you been reading Brave New World?
miser
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I suppose not.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That is dependent on who they are forcing to take it.

If it is for violent criminals, I am all in favour.

If it is for everyone in the nation, I am completely opposed.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously not. Violence is not bad inherently such as in cases of self-defence which may be necessary abroad or in interaction with people here who have not taken the drug for whatever reason. There are many other problems with this idea but this practical problem alone is enough to dismiss it.
Evening
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. It's the build up to Soma of Brave New World. I would never support mandatory medication on a mass public scale.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.

Even ignoring the ethical issues:

Violence is closely related to other human attributes - ambition, power, sport, and love of life. The impulse that makes you hit someone cannot (I believe) be isolated from the impulse that makes someone jump out of a plane, or (in a more controlled way) work for a degree or start a business.

It would be like having a nation of neutered cats. Cute, peaceful, going nowhere. Violence drives innovation. Every individual case of violent crime is a tragedy, but - as awful as it sounds - every society has to decide what level of tragedy is acceptable in order to live in the 'right way'. We all know how utopias work out.

Sport is a good enough 'violence absorber' for society.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
No, have you been reading Brave New World?
or A Clockwork Orange , although there it's not a drug but conditioning that is used in the ludovico technique....
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Forcing someone to do something that results in either psychological or physical harm is an act of violence so the question doesn't make sense.

I REALLY would not want my ability to use violence removed if an authoritarian government decided that the best way to control a population was to use a drug that inhibits violence.
Jemner01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. What happens to freedom of choice when the government forces its citizens to take a substance they don't want to take.
cartesio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sometimes think that for all the suffering in the world, if there existed anything less we would be robbed of experiences; and that this would be a far worse result. How do we appreciate good or peace without evil and war? How would we appreciate love without those bad times that go with it?
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah. 'Equilibrium'!
Great movie.

Of course I wouldn't support it lol. Otherwise everyone would be a push over and do everything said government says to
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Impossible. Nothing or no one can stop violence.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/help-...e-violence.jpg

http://wisdomchief.com/pics/6/Help-S...he-Plants-.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads