Why am I punished because my parents earn a lot of money? Watch

katet1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started at the University of Newcastle in September and am having major financial struggles. The student finance I receive is around 1.4 thousand pounds below the cost of my accommodation. I do not qualify for any amount of maintenance grant or extra funding from the University which everyone else seems to. Every type of financial help I find seems to be based on my parents income, therefor I am not eligible. My parents do not support me at all financially.

I personally find it extremely unfair that I have so little help just because my parents have worked hard all their life and have good jobs??! I have 3 other siblings that all go to Uni so why should they have to fund all 4 of us when most people get extra money for free?

I cannot afford my rent payments, let alone basic living costs and the cost to go out and enjoy myself. However those that receive extra funding seem to go shopping all the time and have a large amount of disposable income. A friend of mine on my course just purchased a mac book with their student loan??! I appreciate that I will have to suck it up and get a job. However I am in Uni every week day so it would have to be part time which would barely cover my rent and basic living costs.

Is any body else in a similar situation?
I appreciate that everyone comes from difficult backgrounds and may need extra help financially. But the numbers don't work for people in my situation. I accept that I might be the minority in this case, but it is still not fair.
Anonymous263
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by katet1995)
I started at the University of Newcastle in September and am having major financial struggles. The student finance I receive is around 1.4 thousand pounds below the cost of my accommodation. I do not qualify for any amount of maintenance grant or extra funding from the University which everyone else seems to. Every type of financial help I find seems to be based on my parents income, therefor I am not eligible. My parents do not support me at all financially.

I personally find it extremely unfair that I have so little help just because my parents have worked hard all their life and have good jobs??! I have 3 other siblings that all go to Uni so why should they have to fund all 4 of us when most people get extra money for free?

I cannot afford my rent payments, let alone basic living costs and the cost to go out and enjoy myself. However those that receive extra funding seem to go shopping all the time and have a large amount of disposable income. A friend of mine on my course just purchased a mac book with their student loan??! I appreciate that I will have to suck it up and get a job. However I am in Uni every week day so it would have to be part time which would barely cover my rent and basic living costs.

Is any body else in a similar situation?
I appreciate that everyone comes from difficult backgrounds and may need extra help financially. But the numbers don't work for people in my situation. I accept that I might be the minority in this case, but it is still not fair.
why won't your parents support you?
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Kate,

I can appreciate that you may feel this is unfair but we have to follow the guidelines set out by the Department for Business Innovation & Skills so we must take your household income into consideration when assessing you.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed