Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I'm a first year child nurse at southampton university. When I applied for nursing I found this forum so helpful, and I wish i'd had the opportunity to ask a current student nurse any questions that I had, so i've started this so that all you lovelies can ask me anything! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nkbarker176)
    Hey everyone! I'm a first year child nurse at southampton university. When I applied for nursing I found this forum so helpful, and I wish i'd had the opportunity to ask a current student nurse any questions that I had, so i've started this so that all you lovelies can ask me anything! x

What's Southampton like in terms of environment, campus, teaching and accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadys10)
    What's Southampton like in terms of environment, campus, teaching and accommodation?

The campus and environment is lovely! Everything you could need is within a walking/quick bus trip! I'm staying in glen eyre halls, their a 10min walk from the main campus and the site is lovely. I'm in enhanced halls which I wouldn't change, their amazing! The teaching is great, all lectures are online so you can print and go over them if needed. The anatomy and physiology module is completely self taught, at first this was a shock but it's been fine! I couldn't fault southampton! X

ReputationRep:
    hello, can you please tell me how many days placements you are expected to di your first year?hanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimsbims)
    hello, can you please tell me how many days placements you are expected to di your first year?hanks

Hey! So you do 2 block placements in first year, both 8 weeks each. So each week you have to do 37.5 hours. The first placement is january and the second is june/july. X

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much !! what about shift patterns any nights?

ReputationRep:
    Do you do any adult placements?

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much !! what about shift patterns any nights?
    So you can either do long days or nights! You have to do weekends too. Long days are normally 07.30 - 20.30. And nights are normally 20.00 - 08.00 x

ReputationRep:
    Do you do any adult placements?

As i'm only child field I only do child placements, if you're dual field then you'll do both. X

ReputationRep:
    thanks will be doing child nursing. can't wait to get in! although worried that uni spaces are so limited.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what your interview was like for Southampton?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to choose whether you do nights or days or is it randomly allocated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi_96)
    May I ask what your interview was like for Southampton?
    Hey!
    So my interview consisted of a group task, it was about 5 of us and we had to discuss what we thought the main qualities of a nurse were, so they were looking at team work, leadership etc. then i had about 50-60 mins to complete a maths and english test, the english test was on the paper we had been given to read, so i imagine yours would be similar. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annieisabelle)
    Do you get to choose whether you do nights or days or is it randomly allocated?
    Hey!
    Nope it's completely random! You have to work most shifts with your mentor so if they do nights one week you'll do the same x

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    So my interview consisted of a group task, it was about 5 of us and we had to discuss what we thought the main qualities of a nurse were, so they were looking at team work, leadership etc. then i had about 50-60 mins to complete a maths and english test, the english test was on the paper we had been given to read, so i imagine yours would be similar. X
    What are the maths and English tests like because I have done a few practice but they sound different, do you go through the whole without knowing your test results and then have a one to one interview after, sorry for all the questions

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm looking to apply to children's nursing for 2015 and wanted to know what kind of articles or journals should/could I read to educate myself about the course and what will be required of me. Many thanks and best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi_96)
    What are the maths and English tests like because I have done a few practice but they sound different, do you go through the whole without knowing your test results and then have a one to one interview after, sorry for all the questions
    Hey! So the maths was addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and 1/2 decimal questions. The english test was about the 6 c's, what one i thought was most important and why. You don't get a one to one interview, it's a group interview . They look at your overall score, so if you were slightly lower on maths but amazing in group you'll even out. So you won't find out until ucas changes x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hpmufti)
    Hey I'm looking to apply to children's nursing for 2015 and wanted to know what kind of articles or journals should/could I read to educate myself about the course and what will be required of me. Many thanks and best of luck
    Hey! There's quite a few good articles and bits on the nursing times or on NICE. I read some on there before I applied. I also remember finding on here something about life as a student nurse at southampton, and that was really helpful! X

ReputationRep:
    Hi

What is the timetable like for uni? What days are you in lectures etc? Is it different every week?

Thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So the maths was addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and 1/2 decimal questions. The english test was about the 6 c's, what one i thought was most important and why. You don't get a one to one interview, it's a group interview . They look at your overall score, so if you were slightly lower on maths but amazing in group you'll even out. So you won't find out until ucas changes x
    Thank you for your help, I wasn't sure as each uni is different whether they look at your overall score or not x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2017

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.