Thierry Henry played his last ever game tonight Watch

Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The Premier League's greatest ever player and just generally a true legend of the game and an absolute gentleman to boot. Won everything there is to win in football, and with style.

Got to love this man, I'll be telling my grand-kids about him for sure. :moon:
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably my favourite opposition player ever from the Premier League. Honored to have seen him play in person.

Said it a million times but it's a complete joke that he never won WPOTY. 2003-06 he was unstoppable.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Big game bottler. Where was he when you needed him most in Paris '06?
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ironically its probably Zidane's fault he never did. Cannavaro won it largely due to his world cup win. Had he stayed on and the French had won the WC, he'd have been an FA Cup winner, league top scorer, CL runner up and favourite for the Ballon D'Or.
Fideo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Legend. Only saw his last couple of years in England unfortunately.

(Original post by sr90)
Probably my favourite opposition player ever from the Premier League. Honored to have seen him play in person.

Said it a million times but it's a complete joke that he never won WPOTY. 2003-06 he was unstoppable.
2006 was rightly his, unlucky that it was a world cup year.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
Big game bottler. Where was he when you needed him most in Paris '06?
I remember more than a few matching winning goals vs Utd, vs Liverpool, vs Real Madrid, vs Brazil in the 2006 WC etc.

In the 2006 CL final he missed a big chance but other than that it's hard to point the finger when we had 10 men on the pitch.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Shed End)
Ironically its probably Zidane's fault he never did. Cannavaro won it largely due to his world cup win. Had he stayed on and the French had won the WC, he'd have been an FA Cup winner, league top scorer, CL runner up and favourite for the Ballon D'Or.
Or Lehmann's fault? If he won the CL that year he'd have won it without any question. He should have won it over Nedved in 2003 as well.

I don't remember Henry ever scoring in a final, which is the only critisism you can have of him really. Unless you're Irish.
SarcasticMel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And he cheated Ireland.

He is not a good sportsman.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RIP
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Beyond being an absolutely amazing player he was a great entertainer. The skinning of Danny Mills, the quick free-kick against Villa, the attempted Cruyff penalty with Pires. He was so brilliantly unpredictable, and exciting. I loved his cheekiness.

He definitely deserved to win either the Ballon D'or or the FIFA World Player of the Year. He had good claims to it in 2003, 2004 and 2006. Bizarre that he didn't win a single one.

Unfortunate also that he never hit the same heights for his country as he did with Arsenal. Yes he became their all time scorer and had a decent 2006 World Cup, but overall he was nowhere near as good.

(Original post by The Shed End)
But without Zidane they would never have even got to the final, so I think we can exonerate him from blame. Besides, had he stayed on France might still have lost. Zidane's sending off was very late in the game.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The way he got the Irish raging

He'll always be a hero to me for that alone.

Quality player.
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was just thinking about his career and I genuinely forgot he did that against Ireland.
Fideo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not the PLs greatest ever player though.

If it's overall career then Giggs, if it's high point then Ronaldo.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)

No, in the PL it's Henry.
PrincessAlexis
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolute legend. Henry = my childhood
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great player - but, as a striker growing up, I always respected Bergkamp more. Henry was one of a kind, though. Very funny off the field I remember, too.
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He hasn't retired though has he?

(Original post by Fideo)

sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fideo)

Ronaldo had 2 (arguably 3) world class seasons in the Premier League. Henry had 6.
Tom_Ford
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This man was one of my childhood heroes, remember him pinging a goal on the volley against Middlesbrough very early in his Arsenal career in the Worthington Cup, I was there at the away end. Everyone around me was saying "Wtf, this kid could be good", how right they were.

I could write an essay on the guy, but, would just leave it with this, words can do the man no justice. Thierry Henry gave magic to us. Very few players out there have the ability to be effectively a one man wrecking machine, Thierry was one of them. It had to be seen to be believed:

Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
His best goal was that one against Spurs, or the one against Barthez at Highbury.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed