Am I Sexist For Being Embarrassed For Other Girls Who Act In A Certain Way? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone else (guys or girls) cringe at what members of their own gender do sometimes? I do get on really well with most other girls, but I get pretty embarrassed when I see some of them:

-dressing in a ridiculously revealing way (as in, the sort of thing Katie Price wears, not just a short skirt or something)
-swearing all the time and being "chavvy"
-obviously being catty towards other girls who are polite to them, due to jealousy
-trying to act in a "cool, sarcastic, I'm so hip" way when they actually just sound socially retarded
-wearing too much make-up, TOWIE style
-taking 100 duck-faced "selfies" a day and posting them on Instagram
-attention whoring on purpose (e.g. doing stuff like stripping down to their bras in clubs)

Does this make me sexist/enforcing gender "double standards"? I don't see guys acting like that as often so I can't really compare, although I am no fan of guys who dress in a "Jersey Shore" way or take multiple selfies either!

My male feminist friend told me earlier today (anon or delete as he's on here, please) that I'm just being "prissy" and reinforcing the patriarchy by pushing an unfair standard that women should be ladylike. But surely what I'm saying I respect is just good manners and class?
Guy Secretan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No it's not sexist at all just as a guy I might cringe at other things guys do.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does anyone else (guys or girls) cringe at what members of their own gender do sometimes? I do get on really well with most other girls, but I get pretty embarrassed when I see some of them:

-dressing in a ridiculously revealing way (as in, the sort of thing Katie Price wears, not just a short skirt or something)
-swearing all the time and being "chavvy"
-obviously being catty towards other girls who are polite to them, due to jealousy
-trying to act in a "cool, sarcastic, I'm so hip" way when they actually just sound socially retarded
-wearing too much make-up, TOWIE style
-taking 100 duck-faced "selfies" a day and posting them on Instagram
-attention whoring on purpose (e.g. doing stuff like stripping down to their bras in clubs)

Does this make me sexist/enforcing gender "double standards"? I don't see guys acting like that as often so I can't really compare, although I am no fan of guys who dress in a "Jersey Shore" way or take multiple selfies either!

My male feminist friend told me earlier today (anon or delete as he's on here, please) that I'm just being "prissy" and reinforcing the patriarchy by pushing an unfair standard that women should be ladylike. But surely what I'm saying I respect is just good manners and class?
Well it's pretty simple, it's sexist if you hold men and women to different standards. So if you don't like people swearing, that's a preference. If you don't like women swearing, that's a (mildly) sexist preference.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Guy Secretan)
No it's not sexist at all just as a guy I might cringe at other things guys do.
Yeah, I guess so. I am rather "ladylike" myself though, so I don't want to uphold double standards as my friend said.

(Original post by Mankytoes)
x
I find the same behaviour just as bad in men, though TBH I don't know as many men who act in those ways. Though men can do other things which are bad too.
NatureFellow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a completely normal feeling.
Girls and Guys do things that we all facepalm at.
We've all been there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by NatureFellow)
This is a completely normal feeling.
Girls and Guys do things that we all facepalm at.
We've all been there.
Yeah, I'm just wondering if I'm being prudish by taking issue at those particular things. TBF a lot of girls do do them.
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Normal. Shows you're sensible
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Who cares if it's sexist. You're allowed your own opinions :lol: I think a lot of peopel would agree with you on that one as well.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Who cares if it's sexist. You're allowed your own opinions :lol: I think a lot of peopel would agree with you on that one as well.
Yeah, I guess most people in their 30s and stuff would agree, for 20 somethings this behaviour increasingly seems the norm though (across both genders)
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you think that they shouldn't do it in general because it's a very annoying thing to do (and I agree on some of them) then it's not sexist. If you don't think they should do it because 'it's not ladylike', or 'real women don't do that' etc. then it's sexist.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP is heading for a coronary if she is embarrassed by others behaviour who are totally unconnected apart from being the same gender.

'Manners and class' are purely subjective and the result of a collective identity often driven by elitism and clique.

How others choose to express themselves is a fundamental personal freedom provided it stays within the law.

Embarrassment is a learned behaviour. Dictating how others behave to prevent one group from being 'embarrassed' is the first step on a slippery slope to fascism.

Get over it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by uberteknik)
OP is heading for a coronary if she is embarrassed by others behaviour who are totally unconnected apart from being the same gender.

How others choose to express themselves is a fundamental personal freedom provided it stays within the law.

Embarrassment is a learned behaviour. Dictating how others behave to prevent one group from being 'embarrassed' is a slippery slope to fascism.

Get over it.
I mean this behaviour in girls I know/associate with. The same way I would be embarrassed if a guy friend binge drank on a night out and then vomited on someone in public or something.

Fascism? Can't tell if trolling, srs. I don't think I'm the one heading for a coronary :Rofl:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
If you think that they shouldn't do it in general because it's a very annoying thing to do (and I agree on some of them) then it's not sexist. If you don't think they should do it because 'it's not ladylike', or 'real women don't do that' etc. then it's sexist.
The former. Although, out of interest, which ones don't you agree with?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TheBBQ)
Normal. Shows you're sensible
Well, "sensible" seems to be considered "out of the norm" these days, then.. :P
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The former. Although, out of interest, which ones don't you agree with?
Too much make-up is a very subjective thing, and also swearing has nothing to do with being chavvy. I swear all the time, but I'm not anywhere near being a chav.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I mean this behaviour in girls I know/associate with. The same way I would be embarrassed if a guy friend binge drank on a night out and then vomited on someone in public or something.

Fascism? Can't tell if trolling, srs. I don't think I'm the one heading for a coronary :Rofl:
Where does embarrassment begin and offence start? Who decides what is and what is not embarrassing?

It's a personal choice but I agree, 'some' behaviours like urinating in the street are unsanitary and cause a nuisance which is why they are also illegal.

If the places you go to and the people you hang out with are into that kind of behaviour, find some new friends who are not and do classy things with them. Like a enjoying a night at the opera or a picnic at Glyndebourne - vomiting optional.
Ryan202
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP Is very judgmental and narrow minded. If people want to live a certain way who are we to judge?
eilish1903
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you're sexist. I am exactly the same to be honest. I can't stand girls with no self respect. And guys like the ones on Jersey Shore/ Geordie Shore/ towie etc really annoy me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ryan202)
OP Is very judgmental and narrow minded. If people want to live a certain way who are we to judge?
See my reply to uberteknik above.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
Too much make-up is a very subjective thing, and also swearing has nothing to do with being chavvy. I swear all the time, but I'm not anywhere near being a chav.
Hmm, yeah, you may be right about the make-up thing :dontknow: I definitely think one can take it OTT, though (the same way a guy could be wearing too much aftershave or something).

I don't think swearing in itself is "chavvy," it seems a little ill mannered from my POV though? (No offence intended )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads