Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You attend classes regularly. What's more, you even pay attention to lectures and are able to comprehend everything fully. Voila! You think you are one heck of a student!

You return home/hostel. You know you've got to study and revise all that was taught at college. You know you have to. You are determined.

And just when you are about to begin.....

There's a "phew" on the messenger and woah your best friend is online! You know you have to study but ........................it can wait!

Um, so chat begins.

Fun time. You keep telling yourself. "Eh, I'll do it. I know I will."

12 midnight. "Aww, hell. I forgot all about it!"

"Okay,no probs, I'll do it now. Now means now."

You grab your book. "Okay, here we go." Flip through pages and "Ugh, too much man." "Okay, I start...." And morpheus ultimately takes over.

"I'll do it first thing tomorrow morning. I know I'll do it. So what if I slacked off today. I know I'll....."

Well,now, how many of us do it everyday?

Point: Most of us are equal in terms of intelligence. We are all (most of us) bright students, do well in class. Then why do some come out on top with a 4 GPA and others, who were equally good, are left behind with a mere 2.

Self-study, and how well you manage it, makes all the difference. Doesn't it?

What are you biggest problems when it comes to self-study?

Here are mine:

1. Not able to concentrate (Though that's not the case in class where I am fully attentive)
    2. I feel sleepy!
    3.Though I love my majors, just at the time of studying all the interest suddenly vanishes.

I know its all a result of faulty conditioning. I am not blaming it in my parents. I know all that laziness has got built over as a habit in all these years. I am working at it. Trying to break free of the habit. Beginning or lift-off takes the most effort and so, I am really pushing myself.

So, what about you? What are you doing about it?

ReputationRep:
    I try to keep my farts inside my body using the contraction of my sphincter muscles. Farting makes me relaxed and as a result I lose my concentration. Whereas if I maintain a bloated stomach, I tend to concentrate more.

Just thought I'd share it with my TSR homiesshiznizzle, nahmeen?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Dinnie, I have the same problems as you.

I simply have no self-motivation!

ReputationRep:
    I usually end up wasting alot of time and the stuff im studying is boring - i like it but its boring - i think all studying sucks, so i end up studying little. i also spend alot of time on one topic, because i like studying things perfectly, however there is no time to do that, and no need to do it,,,
    But im trying... Im also trying to increase my studying efficiency!
    Usually the more i study the better marks i get but that's not always the case...

ReputationRep:
    Same here.

I work in the UK, but I still study at Uni in France. Which means I attend to no class at all, and have to do all the studying at home, all by myself.
    When I am at home... I just don't study. I do loads of things... except what I have to do for Uni.

But I've found a solution. I go out of my flat and study in Starbucks. I get the cheapest drink and stay there for one hour or two. That's where I wrote my dissertation last year. I did the typing at home, because it doesn't need to much attention, but I found much easier to do the thinking outside. Plus I made friends with the staff in Starbucks, plus they know me so well now I don't pay for my drink half the time !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchGal)
    Same here.

I work in the UK, but I still study at Uni in France. Which means I attend to no class at all, and have to do all the studying at home, all by myself.
    When I am at home... I just don't study. I do loads of things... except what I have to do for Uni.

But I've found a solution. I go out of my flat and study in Starbucks. I get the cheapest drink and stay there for one hour or two. That's where I wrote my dissertation last year. I did the typing at home, because it doesn't need to much attention, but I found much easier to do the thinking outside. [B]Plus I made friends with the staff in Starbucks, plus they know me so well now I don't pay for my drink half the time ![B]
    lol

Im different in the point that i cannot study outside home... libraries, starbucks, in groups,,, all do not work for me. i must be at home to study well!

ReputationRep:
    I have absoultly no concentraction

ReputationRep:
    Definately the motivation side of it it's just so hard with so many distractions. I found the best way was to set up a time lock on the computer, that way i couldn't access it even if i wanted/needed to so i was forced to sit down and learn. So far, so good

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, yeah, procrastination is no.1 with most folks.

Thanks for sharing. Quite relaxed to know I am not the only one!!

ReputationRep:
    In Islam one of the signs of Judgement Day is:

''there will be books all around but knowledge will be low''

Just how many people actually go to the library these days?

ReputationRep:
    I don't cuz the college library sort of sucks. I am better off with the Internet. I like to use open courseware offered by certain American universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinnie)
    Quite relaxed to know I am not the only one!!
    Me too! :p:

My biggest problem is getting distracted on useless gossip and shopping websites when Iv only logged on to check uni email or print something off.

Plus "just popping" to the stables to put the pony to bed and ending up going for a long ride somewhere and turning up home 2/3 hours later...

Im going to start failing soon and lose my training contract - I really need to give myself a pep talk :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I get distracted far too easily, I was in an orchestra rehearsal the other day, waiting to come in, somebody walked through the door, I looked up, lost my place and ended up missing it

thats the most recent example, but it happens a lot

ReputationRep:
    Pep talk. That sounds interesting. What is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr octagon)
    I try to keep my farts inside my body using the contraction of my sphincter muscles. Farting makes me relaxed and as a result I lose my concentration. Whereas if I maintain a bloated stomach, I tend to concentrate more.

Just thought I'd share it with my TSR homiesshiznizzle, nahmeen?
    i concur.

ReputationRep:
    'studying'

ReputationRep:
    Last monday I settled down to do maths.............the bloody electricity went off 6 times, so I was yo-yoing up and down the stairs to sort out the fuse box.:mad:

Thursday, I spent the day shopping,(personal, home & kids).

Yesterday I spent the entire day cleaning the house, sorting out the boys room, making their computer desk and sorting out their computer!

I like the starbucks idea....except we don't have one here, yet. Have a Costa so may take my work there on thursday.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aw you made me feel guilty now ....i really should be studying. humm, Im sure i can do it later

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeeeyeahhhhhhhhh

there's always later

Dang it! What the hell am I doing here!

ReputationRep:
    if the computers on, then bang goes my study schedule.

i let myself get so distracted.

but i did find a cool website yesterday when i was supposed to be preparing for a tutorial

check out www.holymoly.co.uk

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.