Hill 2-Cipher Watch

daveollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When using row reduction to obtain the inverse matrix on the left and side of the augmented coded and plain text matrices, and I want 1's across the leading diagonal to complete the inverse. Why is it that I can't just divide the whole row to get a 1, instead I have to multiply the row by the inverse of the matrix entry that I have to get a one in the Modulo that I am working with? I can do the whole encoding/decoding thing, I just don't quite understand why I have to multiply by the inverse, instead of just dividing the whole row by the entry value that I have.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by daveollie)
When using row reduction to obtain the inverse matrix on the left and side of the augmented coded and plain text matrices, and I want 1's across the leading diagonal to complete the inverse. Why is it that I can't just divide the whole row to get a 1, instead I have to multiply the row by the inverse of the matrix entry that I have to get a one in the Modulo that I am working with? I can do the whole encoding/decoding thing, I just don't quite understand why I have to multiply by the inverse, instead of just dividing the whole row by the entry value that I have.
I don't think there's any reason for not using division when working over a finite field, other than ease of computation.

Finding the inverse of the first element, and performing n-1 multiplications is a damn sight easier, than performing n-1 divisions mod(whatever).
firegalley246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by daveollie)
Note that with modular arithmetic, the literal "dividing by integers" won't work because you'd end up with fractions, whereas in modular arithmetic the answer is always going to be a whole number. For example, with 3(mod 11), if you tried to divide by 5 literally you would get (3/5)(mod 11).

Hence why you multiply by the inverse -- e.g. for the above example, dividing by 5 is the same as multiplying by 9, so the proper answer should be (3 x 9)(mod 11), which is 5(mod 11).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise