I have no friends in college and I don't talk to anyone Watch

ganymede81
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I started college around 2 months ago and I have literally made no friends, just aquaints; I would talk to about 5 people in class and I have had people who I knew from someone else who I used to hang with but I would never seem to fit in properly because I had different interests to them. I have no friends who I would hang out with outside of college and I haven't made any new proper friends who I see on a regular basis in college at all who I would go have a coffee with, hang out, do work together and be happy. I have even been to places where many people go and I still don't fit in there (Well I did get a free game of snooker once but I never saw and spoke to her again.)

I'm just so sad about it and I'm spending time in my room and it's causing me to dislike college so much. Whenever it's a group discussion in class I'm either left being the quiet one or most of the time there's nothing to say and I feel awkward in the group. I don't speak to people because I don't want to come off as awkward to other people and I don't want to force them into 'knowing me', it has come to the point where a few days ago I even went into the department for learning assistance where I could get advice and where apparently 'people like me' would be; I didn't even meet or speak to anyone there which tells me that I'll be like this for a long time! If I can get anyone I would actually like being here for a change. Thanks
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would really challenge yourself to speak to people- the more you do it the more comfortable you'll feel. Think of some icebreakers, something humorous (it can be really simple) to pro actively starting a conversation and then it will be less awkward. If you talk to people they are more likely to accept you into their group because they find out what you're really like
Desert Rain
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Gany - i'm also from Swindon and struggling with similar things on my new course

I'm sure you'll settle in after a couple more months; on my first course I took a while to make friends but made some really good mates in the end.
tilly5798
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am in the exactly same situation. I try not to think much of it because your time in college will go very quickly.
Hopefully, my friends in the year below will stay on and i will have people to hang out with then ahaha.

Just letting you know you are not alone.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was like this also but I had a couple of close mates. If you can the best thing to do is use your frees to study and not talk to anyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise