Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I just finished my GCSES and wanted to ask all present and past students whether it will be alright if I study from day 1 from a revision guide as I cant be bothered reading the big 400 pages text(Alan Anderton) book my schools has recommended me. I bought the CGP revision guide for AS Business Studies and the Oxford revison guide (Economics through diagrams).

So basically is it ok If i dont study from the big text book as I dont get anything in anyway and start studying from today from the revision guide (I started studying from revison guides like 1 month before the exams for my GCSE's)

Someone please help me. Will this effect my grades. Please help me. Really confused.

Thanks a million for anyone who does.

ReputationRep:
    If the recision guides are the same exam board and specification as the exams you are taking I don't see why you shouldn't. But if the aren't for your exam board/specification then you should maybe have a look through the textbook recommened, if can't harm you plus your teacher has said it is the book to use.

I don't actually do business, so I've never had an experirance using the revision guides.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you mean "revision guides" twinkletoes? lol I agree with twinkletoes but there is no harm in studying from both.

ReputationRep:
    Last year when I was doing AS Business Studies we didn't really use the textbook that much anyway - you'll probably find that you'll just be making notes from what your teachers are telling you most of the time..or atleast thats how it was for me!

ReputationRep:
    I love the Oxford 'Through Diagrams' set, and used it myself throughout my AS-Level Business Studies course. In each of the AS-Levels i took however, there was no mention of purchasing, reading or referring to large textbooks - perhaps this is a convention of your college/school. Besides i prefer a combination of lesson notes, revision guides and past papers to really refine and drill down examination technique and core knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion if you use the text book for further description of confusing topics and using the revision guides for recapping as most of A level has already been covered in GCSE

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford Economics guide looks quite good, I should buy it.

And (according to Mike) the Business one too

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you are not good at essays you should use textbook. I was myself using Alan Anderton textbook and it is pretty hard. However, it gives you some lovely phrases you can later use them during exam when u need 2 write an essay. U should better use revision guide for revision.

ReputationRep:
    OP:
    Well done, congrats...you have exactly the right attitude Mug it out of a revision guide, but if you get stuck on anything go do a textbook job. Most AS and to an extent A2 can be learnt out of revision guides.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.