Quick Money-Earning Options? Watch

Christa_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm 20 and in the middle of finishing essays for honours. To make things worse, a situation arose which meant the £150 I had to last me until student loan day in January has now gone - and I need to buy food and then train tickets home in just over a week. Forget that I won't have an Xmas this year.

I can't think of any way to earn around £50 in a couple days to a week. I already did matched betting when things got tight last year, so I can't do that again without committing fraud and opening new accounts. I'm also already online with Vivatic (which is way way too slow and I need something that can pay out sooner - as in by next week and not on a set deadline by the website).
I already have Feature Points on my phone too, and I've tried all those crappy websites like Swagbucks that don't pay out nearly enough for your time. All the "fast cash" articles and websites say to sell things on ebay (do they not get that poor people don't HAVE things to sell which is why I need money to begin with?) I also live at uni right now, so I can't do chores, odd jobs, etc.

Honestly I would love to turn to something as drastic as stripping but alas I am one of the ugly girls and people would probably prefer to pay me to keep my clothes ON.

I have no idea what to do for a quick cash injection ASAP. Can anyone advise me on what to do? If I had anyone to borrow money from then I'd never have had to give up my small savings in the first place.
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Moved to money and finance

I assume that you've used your overdraft? There should be hardship funds within your uni.
Christa_
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
Moved to money and finance

I assume that you've used your overdraft? There should be hardship funds within your uni.
I don't have an overdraft. Halifax charges £5 a day (current account) for being overdrawn. If I were overdrawn for 2 weeks (by over £100) I'd be looking at £60-£70+ depending on when SFE goes in.

My uni gives me a £1,000 grant/fund thing, but ONLY after returning in January.
I do not think they would give me anything anyway since I have money in my account (but cannot spend it as it is for the rent) so it doesn't look like I have nothing. And if I am going home for xmas they will just say that since I am living at home with parents for a few weeks I won't be given money. Regardless of the fact that my parents do not pay for any food for me to eat whatsoever and I still need travel home, which if I can't afford anyway I would be stuck here. Either way uni is not going to help.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Christa_)
I don't have an overdraft. Halifax charges £5 a day (current account) for being overdrawn. If I were overdrawn for 2 weeks (by over £100) I'd be looking at £60-£70+ depending on when SFE goes in.

My uni gives me a £1,000 grant/fund thing, but ONLY after returning in January.
I do not think they would give me anything anyway since I have money in my account (but cannot spend it as it is for the rent) so it doesn't look like I have nothing. And if I am going home for xmas they will just say that since I am living at home with parents for a few weeks I won't be given money. Regardless of the fact that my parents do not pay for any food for me to eat whatsoever and I still need travel home, which if I can't afford anyway I would be stuck here. Either way uni is not going to help.
open a student account and get a free overdraft, in the mean time if you have to spend the money being charged £60 might be better than not buying food until jan

can a family member/friend lend you some money?

finally the hardship grants are separate to your usual grant, you have to apply specifically... they may not give it while you still have rent but could you not pay your rent early, or ask your landlord if you can pay half and pay the other half when your loan comes in in jan - then your account would be empty and you can say you can't afford food
Christa_
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
open a student account and get a free overdraft, in the mean time if you have to spend the money being charged £60 might be better than not buying food until jan

can a family member/friend lend you some money?

finally the hardship grants are separate to your usual grant, you have to apply specifically... they may not give it while you still have rent but could you not pay your rent early, or ask your landlord if you can pay half and pay the other half when your loan comes in in jan - then your account would be empty and you can say you can't afford food
By jan I won't need anything as my loan comes in. (It's just the breakup of the loans - I can never understand how £1.5k is supposed to last me for 4.5 months especially when at the start of the year at least £500 has to go on books and travel passes and another few 100s on housing deposits. And then they give me the biggest amount of just about £2k when I have like 2 weeks of uni left in April - WHY!?)
Thankfully my landlord said I could only pay half on the due date and then the other half when my money comes in - which is thankful - but the agency was very strict and intimidating about it - at least they said yes.
I'm looking to get a student current account over the Xmas hols but can you get one when you're in your 3rd year? Are they only for new students? I'll look into it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice etc. I *think* I'm sorted for now.
Ciranore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lets cook jesse
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Christa_)
By jan I won't need anything as my loan comes in. (It's just the breakup of the loans - I can never understand how £1.5k is supposed to last me for 4.5 months especially when at the start of the year at least £500 has to go on books and travel passes and another few 100s on housing deposits. And then they give me the biggest amount of just about £2k when I have like 2 weeks of uni left in April - WHY!?)
Thankfully my landlord said I could only pay half on the due date and then the other half when my money comes in - which is thankful - but the agency was very strict and intimidating about it - at least they said yes.
I'm looking to get a student current account over the Xmas hols but can you get one when you're in your 3rd year? Are they only for new students? I'll look into it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice etc. I *think* I'm sorted for now.
well a lot of people have more than 2 weeks left in april, I always had a couple of months, and plenty of people will be paying housing deposits etc and potentially having to support themselves over summer, either way by third year it's not really a problem because you can save from the previous april payment to pay for things in september

and the student account is useful as it allows you to overspend in september if that's when your expenses come up knowing you will have the money in a couple of months time, I dont see why a third year couldn't get a student account
Christa_
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
well a lot of people have more than 2 weeks left in april, I always had a couple of months, and plenty of people will be paying housing deposits etc and potentially having to support themselves over summer, either way by third year it's not really a problem because you can save from the previous april payment to pay for things in september

and the student account is useful as it allows you to overspend in september if that's when your expenses come up knowing you will have the money in a couple of months time, I dont see why a third year couldn't get a student account
I just think it would help so much more if they were better spread out. I get that people have to live over the summer but at least at summer you have the option of getting a job or moving home. I usually end up on a budget of £10-£15 a month for all expenses after bills and rent, for the entire first semester. The only reason I had savings to begin with this year was because of some inheritance money. Idk I feel like it's set out in such a specific way and it doesn't work for some of us at all. Sad times.
I'll try my best to get a student account, I would really love one and can't believe my bank never mentioned it to me at all when I told them I needed a bank account specifically for uni loans and payments. Thanks for the tips etc
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
second thread I've seen like this and I can't believ students can get past their first year without discovering student bank accounts. Advice on the best ones here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...studentaccount

To open a student bank account you need to prove you are a student and have some form of income. So take anything that shows you are a student (university pass?) and a letter setting out your student finance (log into account and you'll probably be able to print one off). Then you get an overdraft to deal with the cash flow problems.

I dont know what Halifax charges for being overdrawn but most banks would charge substantially less for an overdraft AGREED IN ADVANCE. Most banks allow a small amount without charge on normal current accounts. My bank allow £250.

Get a job over Christmas. In term check if the psychology department wants students for experiments as that may pay a few pounds. Perhaps someone would pay for you to cook meals for them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (190)
39.67%
No - but I will (28)
5.85%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.6%

Watched Threads