Uni in England Watch

Frostyjoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Has anyone any experience in this? I know about 20/30 people who have went there but its not that common. The uni i'm going to is in the SE of England so its basically all English people.

I don't want to be an outcast and I am worried I will not make friends. Also don't want to waste alot of money. I am planning on getting a laptop and skyping my parents everynight. Also want to come home every three weeks.

Don't think I could cope otherwise. Just worried i'll be isolated and scared. What have your experiences been?
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Frostyjoe)
Has anyone any experience in this? I know about 20/30 people who have went there but its not that common. The uni i'm going to is in the SE of England so its basically all English people.

I don't want to be an outcast and I am worried I will not make friends. Also don't want to waste alot of money. I am planning on getting a laptop and skyping my parents everynight. Also want to come home every three weeks.

Don't think I could cope otherwise. Just worried i'll be isolated and scared. What have your experiences been?
That's not true. The UK is made of a wide variety of different people, Irish, Welsh, Indian, Chinese, Polish, German etc are just to name a few.

Some have UK citizenship and some don't, but nevertheless, there's a lot of different mix of cultures, especially in the cities like London. At uni, there would be more international students and the diversity is even greater. You don't need to worry about being alone. There is somewhere you would be able to fit into in uni, there are so many different societies, and different races, you could find people who speak the same language as you and interact and make friends, going back home every three weeks may not be necessary, it could waste more money than doing the degree.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went the first time for a year and lived with the son of the Rose West solicitor, I left before the end of the year but I will move over probably and just work if I don't go to university this year. I don't stay in contact with these people I didn't not like them but I won't remain friends with them.
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
f you're already thinking of coming home every week and skyping your parents I wouldn't move away. Loads of people from NI can't cope moving away and not talking to their parents every day.
England is very multicultural and you will have no issues there. People in general are less judgmental and are there to get an education the same as you.
But if you're having doubts already I wouldn't recommend going if you don't think you can cope.
Once exams and studying etc hit you, you'll find it difficult to make time to go home every 3 weeks.
Not to mention expensive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise